Jump to content
Nucejoe

Hairspring CGS & specifications.

Recommended Posts

How do I find out the CGS parameters and specifications needed to place order with the hairspring producer.

What tool to measure torque vs radial displacement with?  I have heard of ergometer.

I am sure the subject has been previously covered, no luck with the search function.

Thanks in advance.    

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Best to contact the hairspring producer.  Years ago you could get charts for this sort of thing. These days I think it is beyond most watch repairers.  

How can you contact an hairspring producer. There are only like 2 or 3 in Switzerland and they don't correspond with repairers or individuals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jdm said:

How can you contact an hairspring producer. There are only like 2 or 3 in Switzerland and they don't correspond with repairers or individuals.

You stated my next question and answered it. My order would be for five hundered HS which I don,t think meet their MOQ either. So back to fixing HS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not all hairsprings are produced in Switzerland China and India must have domestic production of hairsprings, and this British firm manufacture custom made Hairsprings and carry's a large range in stock.

http://www.britishprecisionsprings.co.uk/html/custom_springs.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

Not all hairsprings are produced in Switzerland China and India must have domestic production of hairsprings, and this British firm manufacture custom made Hairsprings and carry's a large range in stock.

http://www.britishprecisionsprings.co.uk/html/custom_springs.html

Ya looks like the britisnh company don,t correspond with repairers either. @clockboy once introduced a company.

Do you know of a company sells to repairers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

Not all hairsprings are produced in Switzerland China and India must have domestic production of hairsprings, and this British firm manufacture custom made Hairsprings and carry's a large range in stock.

http://www.britishprecisionsprings.co.uk/html/custom_springs.html

Correct, and as you noted the British has a website and contact info. The Swiss have the website and a marketing but only talk to mov't producers when obliged by regulations and wide trade agreements (see link below), and good luck about talking to Chinese for less than 1,000 pieces. I'm not aware of any production in India., the only remaining producing country is maybe Russia, then we have Japan and the countries where they own factories, but both of them don't produce to customer specifications.

https://www.europastar.com/watch-knowledge/1004087450-mechanical-who-will-succeed-eta.html

Edited by jdm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Do you know of a company sells to repairers.

I don't think you will have any luck talking to manufacturers, and only with the old way of scouring Ebay can ger you a solution.
If you have trouble with shipping or paying from your country just PM and we'll find a way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jdm said:

Correct, and as you noted the British has a website and contact info. The Swiss have the website and amerketing but only talk to mov't producers when obliged by regulations (see link below), and good luck about just talking to Chinese for less than 1,000 pieces. I'm not aware of any production in India., the only remaining produced is Japan and the countries where they own factory, but the don't produce to customer specificatsion.

https://www.europastar.com/watch-knowledge/1004087450-mechanical-who-will-succeed-eta.html

1000 piece of one type is acceptable too.  I don,t dare posting on chinees portals, they follow you for life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

1000 piece of one type is acceptable too.  I don,t dare posting on chinees portals, they follow you for life.

Hey we could make a WRT mov't , limited edition 1,000 pcs, ahaha
Yes if you post interest on Chinese websites you will get follow-on emails. That is just proper marketing, as invented in America 200 yrs ago. My own country telesales are worst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jdm said:

I don't think you will have any luck talking to manufacturers, and only with the old way of scouring Ebay can ger you a solution.
If you have trouble with shipping or paying from your country just PM and we'll find a way.

I used to keep radar on ebay, only usual assortments. Lets find the merchandise first, I can arrange for payment through my niece attending school in oxford. Have problem with making small payments only.

Thanks for your help offer, very kind of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jdm said:

Hey we could make a WRT mov't , limited edition 1,000 pcs, ahaha
Yes if you post interest on Chinese websites you will get follow-on emails. That is just proper marketing, as invented in America 200 yrs ago. My own country telesales are worst.

Then again you stated one of my suggestions..  WRT watches.  

Edited by Nucejoe
Exceelent quality ofcourse to measure up to WRT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Then again you stated one of my suggestions..  WRT watches.  

It would be absolutely doable, check for example "chinese watch group project" on WUS. But as it happens this is more a repair site than a collector's one, so I doubt it would raise enough volume. Then again, stay tuned for crowdfunding projects by the usual suspects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jdm said:

It would be absolutely doable, check for example "chinese watch group project" on WUS. But as it happens this is more a repair site than a collector's one, so I doubt it would raise enough volume. Then again, stay tuned for crowdfunding projects by the usual suspects.

Ya, collectors ideas. I enjoy repair, just drifted into collecting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • If you've used properly fitting hollow ground blades for larger fasteners you know they can handle a lot more torque than a regular screw driver without damage fasteners.   The difference is so pronounced you just should not work on antique machinery/equipment with slotted fasteners without using hollow ground blades or you will botch up the fasteners. However, relative to the current debate, two things occur to me 1)  To get the performance noted above, the bit has be a very good fit in the slot.  My set has I think 85 or 90 pieces.  Without that selection and ability to find a perfect fit, their advantage pretty much disappears.    Is a watchmaker going to have a similar selection to ensure that perfect fit and futz about constantly checking microscopic differences in fit?  2) Performance is superior, but the metric is torque handling ability.  Does this even matter in watching making?   My limited experience suggest no.  otoh, if you are  regularly damaging heads of screws with taper blades than yeah, figure out how to get an assortment of hollow ground bits that work for you....but otherwise, why worry about it?   imo there is no debate to be had on what is superior, the debate is simply whether it matters given the torques involved. A young guy I know worked for Roger Smith for few years (talk about a learning opportunity!).....I'm curious on he was taught    
    • Here is my quick video for making a leather belt for a Watchmakers Lathe. Enjoy.       Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    • yes sir, forgot to mention "cone shape",  the  ajuster is a good thing,  i have over tightened the staff in the past.  this one is "floating" almost 1/16 inch !   i decided not to tighten the staff.  it's back together and keeping good time. Thanks,  vin
    • Welcome to WRT forum.  
    • the one on the left   IS   A  hollow grind.  vin
×
×
  • Create New...