Jump to content
PeterS

Second light - shadows problem

Recommended Posts

I struggle with lighting. I have a good 21 Watt, 6500 K led desk lamp but I need something additional due to shadows. Oiling jewels is difficult, slots in screw heads can be difficult to see…
I do have a little led lamp (in the picture) but that’s too high and doesn’t help at all.

I could get an adjustable floor lamp and put a good bulb in it but it’s not very practical, I’d have to keep moving it out of the way all the time.
I’m thinking of a ‘goose neck’ led lamp:
https://durston.com/product/durston-led-goose-neck-lamp-dim-cct-white-eu-plug/

Is there something good around 15W I could get?

20190624_200040 (Copy).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about making the room lighter. Better main lighting. If you have a window in the room, how about moving you bench around to benefit from that. The table top could be a lighter colour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

How about making the room lighter. Better main lighting. If you have a window in the room, how about moving you bench around to benefit from that. The table top could be a lighter colour. 

I usually get to tinker with it later on when it’s dark. I just bought two 15W cool light - light bulbs for the room, it helps a little but it’s not great, it’s too high in the ceiling. Ideally I could do with something behind me (from the side) and fairly close to cancel the shadows but having a floor lamp would be very awkward. Ideally I’d like something I could put on the desk, sort of a spot light that’s powerful and I could move about and direct the light where I need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi  Whats the possibility of building a frame fitted to the desk  with an overhead flourescent tube or double tube assembly over the work area, Inconjunction with the desk lamp it should minimise the shadows.  If the height is made adjustable up/down it would be even better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use this LED light. It’s small, standing eleven and a half inches tall. The top of the light flexes so you can move it into different positions. Sometimes it’s too bright so I tape a piece of watchmakers paper to the light to diffuse it a bit. Costs $29.00. I ordered it online from Office Depot. 

Picture is has the light on my workbench. 

53F42657-BF2A-4F0F-B1EE-D9E3D5ED6515.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  Whats the possibility of building a frame fitted to the desk  with an overhead flourescent tube or double tube assembly over the work area, Inconjunction with the desk lamp it should minimise the shadows.  If the height is made adjustable up/down it would be even better. 

I’d love that but I don’t have a dedicated desk, it will have to be an additional light that’s easy to put away and ideally not too big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnHutchins said:

I use this LED light. It’s small, standing eleven and a half inches tall. The top of the light flexes so you can move it into different positions. Sometimes it’s too bright so I tape a piece of watchmakers paper to the light to diffuse it a bit. Costs $29.00. I ordered it online from Office Depot. 

Picture is has the light on my workbench. imageproxy.php?img=&key=77f0dcc5ac0f9d5b

53F42657-BF2A-4F0F-B1EE-D9E3D5ED6515.jpeg

Yes, something like that might do the job. In many ways similar to the goose neck lamp I’m looking at.
If only I knew what I need. The light in the picture I posted is very good (not the small one), it’s the fact that it is slightly in front of me hence the shadows. I can move it right above what I’m working on, but again, there will be shadows elsewhere because my hand and head will get in the way.

I’m starting to think that a floor lamp next or close to me will be the best solution, casting the light from opposite direction. A head torch would be perfect but I don’t want to sit there with it on for hours.

When I look at Mark’s oiling videos (jewels) it’s so clear, yes it’s a lot more magnified than my 12x loupe but there are no dark areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats  a poser,  what I had fitted to the bench at on time was a four in line which used halogen bulbs the same thing uses LEDs now and fitting that up with some 2by1 and made colapsible so that it folds up. the multiple light array should go some way to removing the shadows as the lights strike at different angles,  if it has a decent base a G clamp will fix it to the table/bench, food for  thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if you need diffused or spot light but the latest LED tubes of natural light are amazing. 7 - 8 euro gets you 1.50m at 18W, just use two holders at the end, you can set it on a wood board or what you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Peter     Been racking the brain cells, Was thinking on the lines of making your own anglepoise type lamp to your own spec using the 2x1 hinged  and clamped to the bench, as jdm says you can get some LED lights with good light out put and they run cool, better than halogen. Istead of the standard lamp head use a timber rail and mount the lamps on that. parts required are some M6 bolts with wing nuts and some wood. the bolts and wing nuts form the hinge in the wood with a washer each side to tighten the angle when in the required position. If you want a rough drawing message me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jdm said:

I don't know if you need diffused or spot light but the latest LED tubes of natural light are amazing. 7 - 8 euro gets you 1.50m at 18W, just use two holders at the end, you can set it on a wood board or what you like.

18W sounds great, can you post a link so I know what I’m looking for? I'm sure I would find something similar in the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Peter     Been racking the brain cells, Was thinking on the lines of making your own anglepoise type lamp to your own spec using the 2x1 hinged  and clamped to the bench, as jdm says you can get some LED lights with good light out put and they run cool, better than halogen. Istead of the standard lamp head use a timber rail and mount the lamps on that. parts required are some M6 bolts with wing nuts and some wood. the bolts and wing nuts form the hinge in the wood with a washer each side to tighten the angle when in the required position. If you want a rough drawing message me.

Yes please, a rough drawing would be fantastic. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ro63rto said:

These come up every few months in Lidl. I got mine for £12.99
Multiple Kelvin settings to suit and plenty bright enough.

fvcn1cM.jpg

That looks far better than the one I have. I don’t think mine goes up to 6500K. Mine makes no difference at all when I have the bench lamp on, not even worth switching on. It’s few years old now and the bench light is fairly new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PeterS said:

I don’t think mine goes up to 6500K.

That is the light temperature not the intensity. 6500 is ice cold, I suggest you try 4000 natural white, it's a matter of preference after all.

 

8 hours ago, PeterS said:

18W sounds great, can you post a link so I know what I’m looking for? I'm sure I would find something similar in the UK.

In the electric shop ask for a LED tube of the length you want, and the two bare holders, you will need to wire one only. These items are so cheap is not worth to buy online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Peter  can you PM me your address I have roughed out the idea and will send it to you as soon as. The design is simple based on the anglepiose but made from wood relying on friction joints with no springs so can fixed to suit.      Cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I would imagine decreased amplitude if applied to fourth or escape wheel, but i noticed hardly any difference with the 3rd wheel in most cases so i think thick oil would be the proper lubrication here in most cases. My question is  why would Seiko make the distinction between capped and uncapped jewels? Why on the same wheel apply thick oil on the uncapped end and thin oil on the capped end? Is there some rule against applying thick oil to capped jewels that I haven't heard about?
    • Just noticed that Mark Lovick uses thin oil (Moebius 9010) for the 3rd wheel in his ETA 2824-2 service video (@8:58). This goes against the recommendation of the ETA technical sheet for the 2824-2, but I believe he does so for a reason. If you read this Mark your comment would be appreciated! While on the topic; what would the effect of using a thick oil be when applied to a pivot where we'd usually apply a thin oil, such as the escape wheel?  
    • Good work. You don't need much. Pity suppliers don't sell it in tiny amounts. 
    • Just to update: I got about a tablespoon of shellac flakes from my BHI DLC assessor, and they work great. I just put a tiny chip of it on top of the pallet, heat it until it becomes semi-fluid and spread it to the right places with a sharpened oiler. Then heat a bit more so that it flows out nicely. I think one tablespoon will fix a lifetime of pallets.. All the other shellacs I have I'll use for cementing workpieces etc. Cheers!      Rob
    • I'm not sure how up to date that guide is. Pretty much every service manual I come across lubes 4th and escape with thin oil but 3rd with thick oil. Even Seiko agrees, showing thick oil being applied to the uncapped side of the 3rd wheel.
×
×
  • Create New...