ajdo

6497 Screwdriver sizes

Question

Hi All - Instead of purchasing full set of newby screwdrivers I decided to purchase better quatility screwdrivers one at a time.

What screwdrivers type and sizes do I need for a 6497 movement.

Thank you,

AJ  

5 answers to this question

What happens with Swiss mov.t is that they make no effort to unify screw sizes, so there are good chances that you will need at least 4 going from 0.60 to 1. 60mm.

Ant the other issue is that when anything new shows up you may end doing a poor job because you don't have the right size. 

So my recommendation is that you buy a set, it does not need to be expensive. 

I wanted to add. The 0.60mm is not is in some set, but it's needed e.g. for the HS stud screw. Your watch of today may not have that screw at all, but the next could. So if you get a set that doesn't have it, get is separately. Cousins UK keeps most brands either as a set or individually so you can match them.

@jdm To follow-up on screwdrivers, opted for Horotec “Lifetime Series” individuals: 0.80 - 1.00 - 1.20 - 1.40

I understand I will need other sizes in the future but wanted to start with quality screwdrivers as I started with quality tweezers. Buying a few at a time makes my brain think Horotec screwdrivers are more affordable :) 

It’s going to be a long journey learning and acquiring tools anyway... 

Thank you for your input :thumbsUp:

AJ

Edited by ajdo

That looks like a good size of screwdrivers to start with. However, on the other side from the hairspring stud screw, a larger, perhaps 2.00mm driver might come in handy for winding wheel screws. If you use your 1.40, just don't forget that the crown-wheel screw is likely "righty-loosey", "lefty-tighty", i.e., left-handed threads. Clockwise will remove.

Years ago I bought a Bergeon set that runs from .50mm to 2.50mm, and have never been sorry.  I generally use the 2.00mm for the crown-wheel and winding wheel screws, IIRC. Good luck.