Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nomadsoul

SAPPHIRE CASEBACK OMEGA SEAMASTER 300M

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a sapphire crystal back for an OMEGA Seamaster (212.30.41.20.01.003).

Do you know where I can find one ?

Thank you in advance.

20190617_013949.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't help you on sourcing a display back but just to highlight that a display back will compromise the water-proofing. No way you'll get 300m resistance with one.

Anilv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diver watch owners don't really care about water resistance, but looks only. However in reality a glass case back would maintain enough water resistance for all purposes including swimming. 

This is however a watch repair forum, I never seen any discussion about making alterations to expensive timepieces like in the OP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The site I was going to link to appears to be offline, but you could try this link from the web archive (wayback machine).

https://web.archive.org/web/20180821141825/http://www.customwatchconcepts.com/index.php?language=en

You may get some useful info there.

Also this might be a good read. -> http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/2009/03/custom-sapphire-display-backs-where-to-get-them-and-why-not-to/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anilv & jdm thank you for your answers even if I'm not on the right forum :biggrin:.

2 hours ago, AndyHull said:

The site I was going to link to appears to be offline, but you could try this link from the web archive (wayback machine).

https://web.archive.org/web/20180821141825/http://www.customwatchconcepts.com/index.php?language=en

You may get some useful info there.

Also this might be a good read. -> http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/2009/03/custom-sapphire-display-backs-where-to-get-them-and-why-not-to/

I knew CUSTOM WATCH CONCEPTS but the webmaster never responds ... I also think he's offline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, anilv said:

Can't help you on sourcing a display back but just to highlight that a display back will compromise the water-proofing. No way you'll get 300m resistance with one.

Anilv

That's a bit of a baseless assumption isn't it? Pretty much all Omegas these days with in-house movements including those with 300 and 600 meters water resistance come with display casebacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaptCalvin said:

Pretty much all Omegas these days with in-house movements including those with 300 and 600 meters water resistance come with display casebacks.

Really! That means pretty thick watches, considering the additional thickness compared to a stainless steel back. Below link is a chart I've prepared from industry sources for hardness glass. For sapphire one should add about 15%. Sapphire is also a poor choice for diver watches of some credibility, because its inferior resistance to shatter. And still about credibility may be worth to mention that the best case back is the one that is'n there at all, e.g Seiko Marine Master, and many others.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRHH0wiHZjYWgcvGx3tZ16almwLkJGcKKCK_WEgM5v0cmWropRRnD5bh6aw8U5rD_1RaEjA8wVpteqs/pubhtml

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 3:34 PM, jdm said:

Really! That means pretty thick watches, considering the additional thickness compared to a stainless steel back. Below link is a chart I've prepared from industry sources for hardness glass. For sapphire one should add about 15%. Sapphire is also a poor choice for diver watches of some credibility, because its inferior resistance to shatter. And still about credibility may be worth to mention that the best case back is the one that is'n there at all, e.g Seiko Marine Master, and many others.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRHH0wiHZjYWgcvGx3tZ16almwLkJGcKKCK_WEgM5v0cmWropRRnD5bh6aw8U5rD_1RaEjA8wVpteqs/pubhtml

 

Welp, whatever they gotta do to get those display casebacks to go down to 600m, they did it. With all the in-house movement craze going on they probably figured they need to show off their movements at any cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Dont know the longevity of watch straps as I have many watches and wear them at infrequent intervals but I can tell you about leather as I'm into leather as well as watches and I've made belts, wallets, bags, watch straps, purses etc. There are many different kinds of leather with the most durable and hardest to cut being stingray which also is the most expensive. I dulled a blade cutting 1 watch strap then there is alligator, croco, caiman, buffalo, cow, pig etc. and there are many different ways of tanning the leather. Tanneries can tan the same leather and produce soft or hard leather, leather with a grain etc. Full grain leather is the whole thickness of the leather and is the best. Top grain is the top layer of the leather after it has been split to make it thinner and produces the top grain and suede then there are the various fakes starting with PU leather which utilizes the suede left over from making top grain leather. They basically coat the suede with polyurethane to make it look like leather. If you ever bought a cheap belt and after a month it cracked on the top layer this is what you have. The suede part will hold up but the PU part cracked. then there is leatherette and another form of leather where they take the scraps, grind them up and combine with a glue and I think they call this genuine leather. A leather watch strap that is sewn together would be made from top grain leather on top or alligator or whatever and on the bottom a softer, more comfortable leather such as pigskin. Pigskin can last many years, I have a shoe lined with pigskin that I have for about 20 yrs. I put 5-7km on it daily and its lasted. 
    • Hello everyone, I have a quick question on the video i referenced above. At the end Mark discussion about dynamic poising. He shows seven different positions results but at the end  he just has three which is dial up, Pendant Down and Pendant forward(which im assuming is pendant up). My question is are you only supposed to adjust the watch in other positions to ultimately have these three positions the only ones that matter? Other question is what are the most important positions you should adjust for when it comes to wrist watches and pocket watches? I think I might be spending way to much time worrying about adjusting other positions on watch when i really dont have to be. I also know it all depends on the type of watch but if someone could give me like their general rules when it comes to this that would be great.   Thanks
    • I have this Hamilton 974 pocket watch. It is running strong however the minute hand move stops at 12:05 everytime it is set at 12 o'clock (the watch keeps running after the hand stops). I've replaced the cannon pinion, and the center wheel (center wheel was a tiny bit bent which I thought was the problem). I've watched it running and all of the train wheels are moving but the hands are still stopped. Any ideas?
    • I don't have the tool with me unfortunately but I think all that was there is pictured. I think it is just whatever cutting tool that is described in the images that is missing. The top part of the Mimo tool is separate to the lower part which is labelled 1CR1, and the top part rotates freely on the base. The red balance wheel holders are then placed on the top of the tool. The first image in the patent is a vertical cross section through the two parts of tool, illustrating the bearing surfaces.    
    • Interesting tool. Are there any other parts in the box? Are any hidden under the one marked "Mimo"? It just seems that something, or things, are missing, relative to the patent. I'd be interested to see the side view, and perhaps the other side of the "Mimo" part. Good job on tracking down some info on it. It looks like it might do well, providing it is complete. Cheers.
×
×
  • Create New...