nightwatchman

My name is Carlton and I am a watch addict..

HI Everyone, 

I have been watching from the outside for some time and love Mark's videos. Very informative and down to earth. 

Looking forward to learning from fellow wanderers, tinkerers and super-skilled professionals along the way. 

Thank you

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Something else to remember here, here in America we have a culture of anti-monopoly. Much of the rest of the world has not established any infrastructure to combat the power they create for themselves. What Switzerland and ETA did was essentially block all competition. If you want something fixed you can only ever go to authorized service centers which ETA/ swatch and the Swiss government will have full control over. One of the largest monopolies in the world is a company we should all be somewhat familiar with, Debeers. Yes, The Diamond People, Debeers! They own every aspect of the diamond industry except one. One that never sold out to them and one that Debeers is force to bend to, to get what they need from them. This one hold out is where you get your "Hand Cut" diamonds from. These are the Jewish diamond cutters located in several ares including New York City, USA, Antwerp, Belgium and a couple other locations. To the best of my knowledge Debeers is not allowed to conduct any business here in america because of our strict anti-trust (anti-monopoly) laws. However, they are forced to use representatives to deal with the diamond cutters in New York. Just over the boarder in Canada these laws do not exist and Debeers has massive operations in full swing up in the arctic circle. Has anyone watched the show on the Discovery channel, "Ice Road Truckers"? They were basically the delivery service for the Debeers mines. Sadly there is not a thing Cousins or anyone can do about this. Because the Swiss government is in bed with the Swatch group, they can make any law they like and exclude everyone as they have here. This is a shame for small business watch repairmen, hobbyists and large distributors like cousins. I hope that The Swatch Group notices a decline in their sales because of this decision, but I seriously doubt it. One final thought, Debeers has had some pretty serious competition recently in the area of Synthetic diamonds. The Russians have developed and refined the process of manufacturing synthetic to the point where they are almost completely indistinguishable from the natural diamonds Debeers peddles. Debeers has taken to using lasers to micro-etch serial numbers and company logos on every diamond over a certain carat weight. And, as I read it, Debeers recently began manufacturing and selling synthetic diamonds because it couldn't shut them down. A new version of "If you can't beat them, join them", lol.
    • Thanks man! Haven't had a chance to work on it yet but soon. I appreciate your help. 
    • Nothing too special. I use a drafting table at the far end of my studio over the garage.  
    • But does this mean that a clock like this will not function correctly, or for long? The sub-min I have has kept perfect time for the six months I've owned it. It has a weighty, solid feel, and doesn't (at least outwardly) look cheap or inferior.