Camy 60 Watch Claeaning Advise

clockboy

Have been asked to service a small Camy watch. It is marked C.Y 60 under the balance so I presume it is the calibre 

My question is has anyone cleaned the balance jewels on this watch which I have never encountered before.It looks like it is not a anti-shock jewel.

I have attached a pic (not my watch but a better pic I found on internet) 

post-234-0-59776000-1417456227.jpg

Hi clockboy,

I'm not familiar with it either but from the picture it looks - IMHO -- like it does incorporate some anti-shock protection given by the 3 finger spring(?) holding the jewel...I may be mistaken though so I hope another member can abound on this.

In any case, it is not evident how to liberate that jewel for cleaning, short of disassembling the whole regulator rings! I sure wish you best of luck with this one clockboy and await for the final verdict and outcome!

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks bobm,

I have not stripped down the movement yet but was just looking for a heads up before the event. The watch only just runs with a very low oscillation of the hairspring so as a guess something is amiss in this area. It does look like the whole movement has been sprayed with something. I know some suggest clean & lubricate with an automatic oiler but I don,t like this method & prefer to strip & clean if possible.

Edited by clockboy

I would do the same clockboy. Only, that jewel setting is making me uncomfortable, not knowing how to get at it to do a proper cleaning! Maybe, just maybe, after the cock is removed it might not be necessary to disassemble at all...or maybe there is a piece of broken pivot there...just a thought.

Found what looks like the jewel setting in Cousins catalogue. It looks like the whole unit pushes out . Will have to use my jeweling tool I expect but will not be able to look closer until Friday due to family commitments.

Thanks Bob,

Just read an article about removing non shock jewels. The guy was saying only push out these jewels with brass punches as it is really easy to do damage. I will have to be ultra careful with this one.

Having said that I can,t wait to tackle it , but family commitments are the hold up.

Edited by clockboy

Hi Clockboy

I have done one but like you I had not come across this type of shock system before, so all I did was separate the Balance Wheel from the Balance Cock, cleaned the jewel with a piece of sharpened peg wood and then run it through the cleaner and rinse and then finally into hairspring cleaner before using my smallest oiler to oil the jewel...

(

Not how I would of preferred to do it but thought I would err on the side of caution)

Hope it all works out

Darren

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hi clockboy,

Yes, I know what you mean, it's ok. Also, I agree with Daz, if you must get at that jewel no matter what, peg it and then wash it. In my mind, it would be enough to leave it in one dip or lighter fluid for some time and then gently stir the fluid carefully with your blower as Mark demonstrates in his videos. Then, dry it and lube it. It shouldn't be a problem that way.

I know about family commitments, I was held back on my watch repair thing this morning, and now I have to go to work! Bummer!

I would really be uncomfortable if I did not dissassemble the balance jewels.

How does the dial-side look? From what I remember, I believe the 'toothed' ring is just a press fit, but you can't press it out from the other side, it needs to be pried up from the cap-jewel side. If its the same as the one I did, the toothed ring ended looking a bit second-hand.

Anil

Wrt,

I would very much like to strip as normal and clean but it is not straight forward and this is not my watch and I really do not want to dig myself a hole that I can not get out of. As Mark would say this watch has a few gremlins and dings.Gremlin1 the guy who has asked me to service it telephoned me last night and admitted that he had sprayed it with electrical contact spray to try and get it going. I washed it first thing this morning with the balance attached to the case and looking through a 20x loupe there was still some gundge in the top jewel. Gremlin 2 the screw that secures the hairspring end stud is missing and I think a previous repairer has glued it in. The problem is it will not budge and as it is attached to a very thin bridge I will not force it in fear of bending the bridge. However in one of my attempts to push out the stud the assembly fell apart luckily no damage to the hairspring. Soaked the case and top jewel assembly in horosolv degreaser and after many blows with my blower the gundge has gone. The problem now is my smallest oiler is just to big to get oil to the jewel so I will treat myself and order an automatic oiler today. Providing the auto oiler works it will be just a matter of re-assembly.

The other problem I have I still have family commitments again today so will not be able to re-visit this until weekend. Hopefully the auto oiler will arrive tomorrow.

Edited by clockboy

Not going so well with this one chaps.

Rejoining the two sections of a balance unit (stud holding part & index pin part) and joining to the bridge can be a bit fiddly but when the hairspring is still attached to one of the parts is a really difficult. After many attempts I slipped and clobbered the hairspring at its stud end. Repairing a hairspring is a delicate operation but doing the repair while it is still attached to part of the balance assembly I found frustrating to say the least. Therefore there was no option I had to find a way to remove the hairspring stud away from the assembly. Searched the web and many suggested adding heat. Worried of terminal damaged I added heat bit at a time using a heated pin and low and behold with this heat and a gentle push and the stud suddenly pushed through.

Now the bummer gently and I mean gently attempted to straighten the bend in the hairspring but the bl!!dy hairspring snapped.

Luckily I have found an identical movement on ebay and hoping the hairspring is OK and will finish this job when it arrives. What a palaver !!!!!!

sorry to hear that clockboy,

I have messed a few hairsprings too so don't despair.

Just last night i was cleaning this -- thank god -- practice movement and put a whole balance cock and hairspring assembly (which I never do) in the same beaker as the main place (no mesh basket, nothing, just wanted to clean a little bit and get it done!). At the end and forgetting about the hairspring I shook the beaker and that was the end of it! now I have a cock and a separate balance wheel... and who knows if that hairspring can be attached again or if still good! This was a non runner but I was trying to get familiar with its layout therefore the carelessness. Lesson learned, no more careless stuff!

If I was frustrated because of my own fault and stupidity, I imagine your frustration even more when you were going "by the book"! Just hang in there and you'll see all will be well.

Cheers,

Bob

The difference between doing your own watches and watches belonging to others is with your own watch you can put it away for a few weeks and revisit once the frustration is forgotten.

Once you 'have' to get it fixed it stops being a hobby.

Anil

• Like 1

Anil you are spot on. I do not service or repair many watches for anyone other than friends or family but I do a lot of clock servicing for customers and the worry of doing damage is always in the back of my mind. Thankfully this rarely happens but I am always very honest with the  customer if things do not go to plan A.