BUlova 11BLACD mainspring

I am having a difficult time finding what, at first pass, would seem a trivial task: getting a mainspring for a 1970 Bulova 666 with an automatic 11BLACD movement. The parent mechanism is 11BLA.

This is from personal collection and the amplitude of the watch is a little low and I was thinking of changing the mainspring and overhauling. I can always take the old mainspring out and measure it and go to Cas-Ker, but I'd like to put out a search for any  old stock mainsprings out there?

Any hits?

20190326_120651.thumb.jpg.52b0156f21034deca56ee0c04361c14f.jpg

J

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 12.02.19 PM.png

Have you seen the mainspring? Says right on the barrel " do not open"  and I say Mr bulova means just that.

I have got one with same calib 11blacd, ( not dive though) needs an escapewheel. See them for sale on ebay,  ebay provides no service to Iran, So.

I,d say unless a genuine NOS, l leave things as is where is.

Regards

2 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Have you seen the mainspring? Says right on the barrel " do not open"  and I say Mr bulova means just that.

I have got one with same calib 11blacd, ( not dive though) needs an escapewheel. See them for sale on ebay,  ebay provides no service to Iran, So.

I,d say unless a genuine NOS, l leave things as is where is.

Regards

Sure I've seen the barrel markings, but Mr Bulova has been dead for 83 years, and I'm responsible for maintaining this watch now, so If I've gotta open that barrel, I will!  I might just leave it until there is a catastrophic event (isn't that what everybody does anyway?) but I'd like to take care of it before that happens.  I'll check your listing.....Gracias.

J

"Sealed Life time power - Do not open" It sure makes one want to pop it open just to see what kind of lubricant they use to be so bold with their statement of lifetime power! :D

1 hour ago, HSL said:

"Sealed Life time power - Do not open" It sure makes one want to pop it open just to see what kind of lubricant they use to be so bold with their statement of lifetime power! :D

Dosn,t say lifetime, just do not open, " come back to buy spare" the problem is where to go to buy. 

34 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Dosn,t say lifetime, just do not open, " come back to buy spare" the problem is where to go to buy.

dunno but looks like it.. maybe got a better deal!

BULOVA11BLACD.jpg

3 minutes ago, HSL said:

dunno but looks like it.. maybe got a better deal!

Lifetime power doesn't mean forever! Haven't you ever heard of the "Unbreakable" mainspring?? 

Since you guys like to get nit picky about details...Let's do this:

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/bulova-lifetime-sealed-barrels-what-to-do.66942/

https://www.mybulova.com/sites/default/files/file/Joseph Bulova School of Watch Making - Unit 9a.pdf

Many have confirmed opening and servicing of Bulova barrels--I think I found the answer to my problem.

lol ..

1 minute ago, noirrac1j said:

Lifetime power doesn't mean forever! Haven't you ever heard of the "Unbreakable" mainspring?? 

Since you guys like to get nit picky about details...Let's do this:

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/bulova-lifetime-sealed-barrels-what-to-do.66942/

https://www.mybulova.com/sites/default/files/file/Joseph Bulova School of Watch Making - Unit 9a.pdf

Many have confirmed opening and servicing of Bulova barrels--I think I found the answer to my problem.

Yes I know that, just a fun fact they write stuff like this on a barrel... everything in the world is relative even the term life time :)

• Like 1

Whilst the parent movement may be 11BLA, the parent of that is 11ALA as far as the mainspring is concerned. See the top of page 3 of this link (item 1S is a mainspring  with barrel) https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/2175_Bulova 11BLA etc.pdf

Cousins actually has 4 complete barrel and mainspring assemblies in stock, although not sure what the grease will be like now. Kinda depends on how they are packaged I guess.

Interestingly, I can’t find any reference to the correct replacement spring, but if you pop the barrel open I'm sure you could measure the old one.