Rolex Cal 1560

Legarm

I think this https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/grease-moebius-8213-semiliquid-greaseis the grease you should be buying for the inside edge of the barrel.

Thanks Geo, I read an old Rolex service guide and it shows another grease of similar qualities. I have now gone for the 8201, " For springs and slow moving parts with large friction areas (barrels etc.) with molybdenum disulphide (a black crystalline sulfide, simular to graphite) usually applied cold."

I hope that is right............ seems to be the modern equivalent to MR.

9010 for balance endstones

9010/9020 or HP-500 for the train

D5 or HP-1300 for the high pressure train, motion work, barrel arbor etc.

8200 or 8201 for the mainspring (extremely fine film along it's length).

8213 or 8217 for the barrel walls to stop the bridle slipping too freely (small amount at three spots smeared around the wall, don't let it get pushed to the barrel floor when installing the spring), Automatic watches only.

9501 or MolyDX for high friction parts (cannon pinion, keyless work).

9415 Pallet stone oil

:)

• Like 1

haha...solution in search of a problem?

Anyway I'm sure Rolex had a reason for this as they are not as 'gimmicky' as other manufacturers..maybe new hairspring material?

Apart from the oyster case, Rolex as a manufacturer is a bit boring in terms of innovating new tech..something like Mercedes in the 70-80s... their stuff works and works well but only because it's been highly refined..

Anil

All the oils arrived today, but have to put the Rolex on hold to make a watch for middle daughters birthday, so I have been told..... really told........... several times apparently ..... must have not heard the dear wife ..... :(

• 3 weeks later...

well that was a fun three weeks. Really ill, nearly put in hospital. Anyway feeling a lot better and hoping to stay out of hospital.

Started the re-assembly and have got the balance and guard installed, running nicely and good amplitude.

Will install the rotor and automatic works tomorrow, can only do a small amount at the moment., 

the bracelet, case and hands have been refurbed and looking good. 

Will post pics of watch on completion.

Hi Legarm,

Glad you are back and fit again! Looking forward to the final outcome...and yes, stay out of hospitals they are not fun even with beautiful nurses. ( I don't see why nurses have to be beautiful since once you are in a hospital it doesn't do you any good!) :)

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

well that was a fun three weeks. Really ill, nearly put in hospital. Anyway feeling a lot better and hoping to stay out of hospital.

Bloomin eck! I'm glad to here you're up and running again...........along with the watch. I look forward to the next does of photos.

• Like 1