New member from Worthing, UK

Gabe90

Hello Gents,

My name is Gabe and writing from Worthing, UK.

I work in engineering and a few years ago I got interested in how mechanical watches work. I started watching Mark's videos and reading watch repairing books. Then bit by bit I bought the essential tools for small services. At the moment I practice working on vintage watches as a hobby.

I like to read the experts' threads here and I might ask some help in the future.

Many thanks for running this forum.

Gabe,

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I didn't think there were any gauges under 0.1  .  I do like the old art deco tanks which are small sizes. My staff stash amounts to around half a mil. So i think I probably have that base covered. This 0.1mm set seems to be the most expensive, larger 100 piece set are about half the price. For around a 100 quid you can have sizes from 0.1 up to 4mm. Bugs me that they charge shipping for each seperate item so no combined shipping fee available. 
    • Yes, I understand that indeed.   Which is exactly what I am lacking, as I said. That's why the ring diameter matters to me.   That matches my anecdotal observation indeed. It could be the material or the modern backward curve that provides more power.   This is an interesting topic!  While these old oils were maybe thinner, their friction-reducing effect may still actually be lower than modern (even thicker oils), no? I man, some old, thin, organic oil may be less effective in reducing friction than a modern, thick HP1300 or so. What do you think?
    • Here are a couple of pictures of the tool that I mentioned in my first reply: Got the picture from here: https://klocksnack.se/threads/hobby-hörna-hemma-verktyg-tips-och-trix.163821/#post-4291582
    • Yep seen this tool before but never for sale. I bet there aren't many that aren't broken.
    • There is a tool for this, if you can find one. It's called an Obama Jewel Hole Gauge. It consists of a finely tapered pin which you push into the hole as far as it will go. The pin then pushes back into the body of the instrument until the jewel is against the tip. The hole diameter can then be read off the scale in 0.01mm increments down to 0.05mm. If you could find a suitably fine tapered pin there's no reason why you couldn't improvise by marking where the jewel sits on the taper and then measuring it with a micrometer. In practice though if you are replacing a jewel you could always just measure the pivot that is going to run in it.