Oscillating Weight Assembly (Eta 2671)

clockboy

After assembly of a ETA 2671 the watch works really great showing good on the timegrapher so no problems with the movement. However the auto wind is not 100%. The weight was not turning as free as I would like and after after 24hrs or so the watch stopped. I therefore changed the oscillating weight bearing but there is still no real improvement. Wondering if there is a specific position when assembling the Oscillating weight like is required with some Seiko,s. The other thought is perhaps there is a fault with the "automatic device framework" but when assembled all seems OK and runs free.

Anyones thoughts much appreciated

Thanks Will, I don,t think it is that, but will look again the other thing I am wondering if the bearing purchased is not 100%.

Just found this vid and will do the test. The other problem is it is the Sister in laws and getting her to give it it back is an issue as she says she will just wind it every day. Winding me up thats for sure.

P.S The watch has has been through the wars as I had to replace the balance staff

Edited by clockboy
  • Like 1

Geo, New mainspring and lubed,the auto wind train looks good. I think it is the bearing on the oscillating weight. But until I get the watch back I can not check. This watch as I said has really been abused, replaced crystal (cracked) new balance staff (broken) and new spring (just seemed set).

Just annoying done all the testicle stuff and really pleased with the result then the auto has an issue. It stops after 24hrs but not giving it back so I can have look is a winding me up big time. 

Playing with my lathe today and found out some interesting stuff making a cutting tool I will do a separate post.

Edited by clockboy

It may be best just to replace the reversing wheels as they are reasonably cheap. 10/10 reversing wheels and ball race replacement on these movements will usually solve all the auto winding problems.

Also - check for any missing teeth on the winding wheels (within the auto works and under the barrel bridge) and replace as needed.

• Like 1

By the way - how did you fit the bearing? 

I usually use a staking tool with the widest possible flat headed punch and a brass stake. This is because I managed to damage a bearing before with the metal punches. Just a heads up because they are very easy to squash!

Yes & thanks Mark I followed your Vid when fitting the bearing using a brass stake & staking tool.

I suspect you have cracked it though because even after fitting the bearing I was still not happy so the reversing wheels I will change. Ordered a few hours ago for Cousins & as a precaution ordered another bearing (fingers crossed)

Edited by clockboy

Ok chaps still got issue with the Oscillating bearing on this ETA 2671 I have attached a vid hopefully it is  OK as I used my iPhone to create. I have also attached a pic which shows a slight difference between the old & new bearing. The new one is on the left which has a ridge & the old has not.

Unless the vid I see on youtube is incorrect there is not enough oscillation. When I fitted the new bearing absolute caution was taken using a brass  stump & I even pushed it on with a piece of felt between the punch & the bearing to absolutely make sure I did not damage the new bearing.

post-234-0-86248400-1416573885_thumb.jpg

New Bearing.MOV

I wouldn't have thought having felt against the bearing would have been a good idea because tiny parts of felt may enter the bearing. I would have gone for the clean hard stump on the bottom and clean hard punch on the top.

After watching the clip it is clear, either the bearing was faulty or it has been damaged whilst fitting..

Please do not read too much into that other video. It's a good indication but not all bearings perform the same as others so to put it down to a time could drive you crazy. But your one is performing like it is under load and that is clearly not right.

I did a test yesterday following the video you posted. It was on a brand new bearing for a 2824, tested both with lubrication and without. Straight from the sealed packet and after soaking in lighter fluid and lubricating with pallet oil and I got the same result each time. It came to rest at around 12 seconds. Far short of 70 seconds.

The watch is now on my wind up machine and I will guarantee that it will run for more than 35 hours after a few hours on the machine. 

Getting back to your bearing:

If you have not already done so then ultrasonic it and then lubricate the balls with pallet oil (not 9010 and definitely not D5). See how it performs.

If it is still the same then dump it and put another one on.

Tip: these bearings are relatively cheap and are used quite often. Therefore it is a good idea to order them in two's or three's. Then you have a spare for moments like this :)

Hope this helps.

Mark,

I have a L&R and ultrasonic cleaner and will give it a clean. But this the second new bearing fitted and I could not have fitted it more gently.

I fitted with the touch of a fairy.

However I have not lubed it but did lube the old one with 9010 not pallet oil but there was some improvement.

The new bearing is not the same as was supplied last time from cousins and to be honest I think it is a loose fit as I just had to push it in no other force was needed. If the clean & lube improves the performance I will put a smudge of lock tight around it just in case.

If no improvement I will order yet another bearing from Cousins

Edited by clockboy

Mark, cleaned & lubed as suggested and there is without doubt an improvement. When fitted to the watch it now freely moves around when putting the watch in different positions. My concern now is it is such a loose fit it falls of the bearing when turning the watch upside down. I think I should order another couple. Also noticed that the bearing supplied is not the same style as the ETA drawing,I don,t know if this is the issue.

ITS FIXED.  Mark for a knighthood at least.

Fitted yet another bearing (3rd one) this morning and it functions completely different to other two I fitted. I used the same method fitting so it must have been some duff bearings. Noticed yesterday when I ultrasonic cleaned the second bearing that there was a tiny deposit of white stuff in the bottom of the machine wondering if they had been loaded with a grease of some sort.

I have also fitted two new reversing wheels as a precaution but I am sure it is fixed. 

P.S. I ordered the bearings yesterday afternoon and they arrived this morning hats off to Cousins

Edited by clockboy
  • Like 1