MrRoundel

Not new, but remiss in introduction.

Greetings. I've been a participant here for a couple of years now, but I don't think I ever introduced myself. I was thinking about it, and it's probably handy for folks to reference these intro's to get an idea as to how much experience a participant has. Since I don't want people being in the dark about such things, I'll go about introducing myself.

I started working on American pocket watches back in the late nineteen nineties. I bought a set of VHS tapes put together by Bob Tascione. At around the same time I joined the NAWCC and assembled a nice little collection of American pocket watches. Between then and now, life took all sorts of twists and turns, having me only working on watches sporadically. Eventually I started working on wrist-watches, as I found them more practical as a wearing possibility. That's when I found the WRT forum, and its many friendly, knowledgeable members.

My tool collection is decent for a hobbyist's, having a lathe, bench, good screwdrivers, Dumont 3C's, and good supply of parts books, etc. I have probably restaffed a dozen or so watches, all with varying degrees of success. I am embarrassed to say that I've never poised a balance or replaced a roller jewel. I know, crazy, right? I do have a poising tool and others for dealing with roller jewels. I've just been avoiding it. Perhaps that's after I sent a few tiny shock-device jewels into oblivion, despite using what I thought was a soft touch. My skills have improved a bit with experience, but I'm decades of experience from watchmaker status. 

For years I have enjoyed other hobbies, mostly windsurfing in SoCal, Baja, and Hawaii. This has now taken its toll on my body, shoulders in particular. Carumba. Ah, it was worth it. Anyway, I think I'm now being forced to spend more time doing things that aren't as hard on my old joints as windsurfing. And I have always enjoyed getting old watches up and running after their hiatuses.

Anyway, that's me and watches in a nutshell, cracked as it might be. Cheers all.

Edited by MrRoundel
Ad possessive to hobbyist's

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.