Main spring for UTC 33?

Lc130

Hi All

I'm a beginner.  I've received the wrong springs for both an AS 1700 and UTC 33.  Otto Frei looked them up by movement number.

I was able to look up the sizes here https://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/mainsprings?&redir_count=1

For the AS1700 they list 1.2 x 0.105 x 340 x 10.  Appears correct using my chinese micrometer. 

UTC 33 is not listed.  Ranfft says it's similar to seiko 6601B which is listed as 1.35 x 0.10 x 360 x 9.0.  I'm reluctant to pull this out of the barrel as I don't have the correct winder.  Can anyone confirm the MS for the UTC?

Thank you!

Charlie

No...but I can confirm you should not mess with that UTC mainspring unless you have a winder.Don't even think about taking it out of the barrel! I just made that mistake on a Seiko 6619...I now have a broken spring...It is theoretically possible to get the spring back in the barrel.THEORETICALLY!

2 hours ago, yankeedog said:

No...but I can confirm you should not mess with that UTC mainspring unless you have a winder.Don't even think about taking it out of the barrel! I just made that mistake on a Seiko 6619...I now have a broken spring...It is theoretically possible to get the spring back in the barrel.THEORETICALLY!

Thank you for your help!  

I intended to pop a new spring in directly from the packaging washer.  As a beginner,  it appears that it's more cost effective (and more beginner proof) to buy new springs compared to an expensive winder.  When I send my "real" watches to real watchmakers, they always replace the spring.  Springs cost $20. 

• Thanks 1

I have links for both watches for parts. You can click on the mainspring description in the list will then tell you more about the spring like when it cross references to its size etc. Then when you're shoving that new spring in I'm assuming you have the proper barrel wall lubrication?

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=UTC_33

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=AS_1711