Rolex 3130 Amplitude

I have a brand new Rolex OP with the 3130 movement. On my No. 1000 timegrapher I'm seeing something strange with regards to amplitude. This is being tested on a watch at full wind, with lift angle settings of 52 deg in the flat dial up position.

When I take the watch off wrist and place it on the timegrapher, I always start out with an amplitude in the 290 range. As it rests on the TG stand for a few minutes the amplitude will slowly drop and eventually settle around 270. It will fluctuate up and down a few degrees. I've seen it go as low as 267 and it will go up to 273. I've monitored it for the better part of an hour and it seems pretty consistent.

I've tried this several times and I always seem to get the same results. Higher amplitude at first and once it rests for a couple minutes it drops down. 

#1 I'm concerned with how it seems to drop amplitude.

#2 Isn't 270 for a brand new Rolex 3130 in the dial up position at full wind on the bad side, or am I wrong?

#3 My AD says "it's in spec". Should I be happy with this?

Thank you for the information.

Not a lot wrong I would say. Over a long period the amplitude will drop slightly because the auto wind is not working and so it is effective unwinding. An amplitude of 270 is not bad and for some watches such as Seiko's it is impossible to achieve. If you are still worried then have it serviced by Rolex. 

1. You need to understand how a timegrapher works in order to interpret (mis)readings. Basically, it’s unlikely you have a problem with the amplitude changing.

2. You need to achieve 270 degrees to achieve “good” isochronism with respect to balance poise. For that reason, it’s considered a target.  How does it measure dial-down? And are you sure the mainspring bridle had started to slip (fully wound) before you measured?

3. I personally wouldn’t trust anything a dealer says, but I’m not saying they are either right or wrong. I think there is a slight danger of misunderstanding when non-watchmakers use timegraphers to make judgements on watch movements. I believe this is the main reason why we see people posting online about getting beat-error as close to zero as possible, when in reality it doesn’t matter much as long as it’s reasonably low for the given beat-rate. 

I have the spec here lying in front of me (won't post a pic for copyright reasons). About amplitude for 3130 it claims 2 criterias:

- after maximum winding: in dial up and dial down position amp must be smaller than 310

- after maximum winding followed by 24 hours unwinding: in crown down, crown left and crown up position amp must be higher than 200

There is no further comment how high the full winding amp should be  

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Thanks Rich, its really not that difficult to make them, simple ones anyway. Cousins didn't have the part though i could find it on ebay at 6.50. I figure i earned about £1.50/ hr . It paid for the diamond files i bought.
    • If you look at this thread, you can see I had exactly the same problems with balance springs with 2 prongs on a Smiths 627. The slots in the chaton were not big enough to get the ends of the spring out. I had to bend them to get them out and back in. Not ideal. I don't fancy having to do it again as they could easily break, and where would you find replacements? I didn't come across the 3 prong type.     
    • I visited the Breguet Exhibition today. https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/about-us/press-office/rare-timepieces-unveiled-new-display-science-museum The Science Museum now holds the collection of "The Worshipful Company of Clockmakers" - "The collection includes more than 600 watches, 90 clocks, 30 marine chronometers and a number of fine sundials and examples of hand engraving, mapping the history of innovation in watch and clock making in London from 1600 to the present day." It's well worth a visit. They have some amazing pieces by the likes of Harrison, Breguet, Tompion etc . I've visited twice before but decided to go and see the Breguet Exhibition. Maybe I was expecting too much, as on reflection, "More than 20 extraordinary timepieces designed by inventor and watchmaker Abraham-Louis Breguet " isn't going to take up that much space. In reality, it's just one cabinet. But, Oh those watches, stunning 🤩 , e.g. (No 1297 was made for George III and is valued about £1m)   I tried a couple of pics, but with subdued lighting and taking through glass, they aren't good. I like thin hands on a watch - how about these (I think this is a split second chrono)   And this one, with all it's complications, is only 10mm thick !   What I found very interesting were a few very old machines for making watch parts, like this 17th Century gear cutter. The disc below has concentric rings with holes in, so that is can be set to cut varying teeth numbers.       
    • Firstly sorry for poor image quality I only have an iPhone for photos.    Im working on a 512 movement and I’ve had some trouble with the “jewels”. I’ve got the metal one out, but when I tried to put it back the three sides of the spring seem to need pressing all at once to fit it as there are three “holes”. I get two corners in but as I go for the third the first two pop out! Constantly I’ve lost the spring. I’ve done the similar ones on seiko movements without trouble. Assuming I find it/a replacement, what am I missing!   on the other side with the only ruby in the movement is a setting with no “gap”at all. How do I get the spring out, and of course get it back in!    What am I missing!    thanks in advance.    Rob
    • Links like that are the reason I routinely donate to the Internet Archive - they are the last safe house for a tremendous amount of useful info that is otherwise lost.