Seiko amplitude - is my timegrapher wrong ?

mikepilk

I've been struggling to get this Seiko 7002A to show an amplitude of greater than about 230 deg on my Weishi 1000 Timegrapher (52 deg lift angle).

But to my eye it looks more, maybe 270-290 deg.

I've been trying to capture it using pics/video/strobe but with no success.

When stationary, the arm on the balance sits at about the position of the '0' in the lower left. 

Is it reversing direction somewhere near the stud ?

With no adjustable gain on this model, could it be using the wrong signal ?

Any ideas ?

Seikos don't generally achieve a great amplitude, which I guess you probably already know.

Looking at your video, you really need to see it in slo-mo. However, I can see two main static points which are fairly close to each other which suggests the amplitude possibly isn't that far from 180 degrees.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikepilk said:

I've been struggling to get this Seiko 7002A to show an amplitude of greater than about 230 deg on my Weishi 1000 Timegrapher (52 deg lift angle).

When stationary, the arm on the balance sits at about the position of the '0' in the lower left. 

Any ideas ?

I have made this comment many times, for some reason vintage seiko's have low amplitude. Providing it is about 200 + then it will run just fine. 

• Like 1

Any ideas ?

Use an iPhone in slow motion and take the video. Mark the balance lightly with a sharpy in red and then measure the swing, then divide the result by 2 for the amplitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro