Rolex Lubrication

I will be servicing my Rolex submariner later on this year and was checking what lubricants are required and the service sheet I have shows PML 163 on many of its parts.

Looking at the diagram I would say it is where normally D5 would be applied. Am I correct or is there another equivalent.

I will be servicing my Rolex submariner later on this year and was checking what lubricants & itinerary that are required. The service sheet I have shows PML 163 on many of its parts.

Looking at the diagram I would say it is where normally D5 would be applied. Am I correct or is there another equivalent.

Rolex service.pdf

Hi clockboy,

Thanks for the pdf which I downloaded. Although I can't really tell you much about it, I've read that Rolex has developed different oils for their watches. I have a feeling that a substitution for a proven good quality equivalent won't harm the movement. In any case, Nye PML doesn't look expensive and the ofrei site has a very high recommendation for this oil (considering they sell equivalents at a higher price = better for the business) They prefer it over all the rest according to them!

Hi Clockboy. 

I have done some research into PML163 and it appears to have been replaced by PML80. 

Can't find much info on them but the PML products appear to be based on natural ester blends (much like D5) or PAO synthetic oil (like Moebius synthetics 9000 and 9100 HP series).  

If used where D5 then perhaps Moebius HP1000 or HP1300 would be best choices.  

The esters (natural or synthetic) are used to improve lubricity of normal oils (often seen used for pallet stones etcM 941/9415) and seen in Moebius 8000 series and Microgliss D series.   PAO (PolyAlphaOleophin !!!!) has much better natural lubricity then normal oils so does not normally need an ester.

Thanks for your research. The selection of oil is very confusing to say the least. I read that if you know the viscosity of the oil to be replaced it makes it easier to decide if the alternative is suitable.

Thanks again Canthus much appreciated will search the net for Moebius HP1000/HP1300

This service of my Rolex has made me nervous to say the least but it has been on my wrist for 6 years so it,s time.

I really don,t want to make a basic error of the wrong lube.

Edited by clockboy

Hi Clockboy

The viscosity is probably the most important aspect.  HP1000 is 1013 cSt @20C which is approx 300cst @40c, HP1300 is 1267@20c & approx 310@40c so not much different.  D5 is1200@20C and approx 300 @40C so nearer HP1300 so either would suffice.  .  It would appear that concensus for PML80 replacement is D5 but D5 is not PAO like HP1000/1300. Can't find what PML163 or 80 are, so if you find out let me know. I am developing a spreadsheet for watch/clock lubes, but cannot release to forum in case there are copyright/brand issues.