Modules and cutting Wheels

I have an Elgin Pioneer aircraft clock that has a broken tooth on the ratchet wheel.

If you look around 9 o'clock on the ratchet wheel you will see the missing tooth.

5b36401b08701_Pioneer4.JPG.f98665e588967607df2cb8165b427877.JPG

Counting the teeth the wheel has 76 teeth and its outside diameter is 21.12mm.

Running this through the formula I come up with it being a 0.27 module cutter it needs.

The closest module cutter I see you can buy is 0.25. Is this too big a difference from 0.27?

Or do you think I could get away with it? I've got a reasonable workshop with lathe, milling machine (X2 clone) and dividing head, although I must admit I haven't checked it can do 76. Yes I could grind a fly cutter, but I doubt my hand is steady enough to get it close enough.

Wheel is 1mm thick so I should be able to get some 1mm gauge plate easy enough and broaching the center hole square will be a new challenge to me, but isn't that half the fun?

Do you think this is doable on an X2 mill, or will I be stretching it?

It should be ok because you have play in winding wheels, the design of the teeth should allow that. As it’s a winding wheel and only one tooth missing the clock should still work all right. I’m thinking you are creating work for yourself.

So it would be ok to leave this wheel in as is?

I hadn't even considered that.

Out of all my clocks this one is the most important to me as it came from a RAAF Wirraway of which there was only a total of 755 Wirraways made and only 15 survive.

So much work for just one missing tooth! The tooth can be built up by laser welding and then reshaped.

I had repaired such damage also by cutting a slot of tooth width, inserting a piece of steel, hard soldering and grinding to shape.

Frank

Laser welding may be able to do it, but unfortunately I don't own one of those.

Yes dovetailing in a tooth is an option, but I wasn't sure it would be strong enough on a ratchet wheel, something for me to consider.