Oris Dive Watch

lr1022

Good point about the holders - reading JC's response reminded me that mine has plated Brass based sides to cut down on the chances of magnetism affecting the movement.

Cheers,

Vic

Hi Ir,

Here is a picture I got from the internet because I am in the research building today and not at home, but you'll get the idea about the Bergeon holder. I'm also attaching a photo  of one of my watch movements in the holder. It is reversible and holds most movements pretty good. The only thing I would suggest is that you look to make sure the holder is not tightening onto any part of the balance or that one side is NOT at some angle different from the other three sides: in other words, that the holder is secured squarely onto the bottom plate of the movement and not anywhere else or it will slip as soon as you start working.

JC

post-328-0-37844100-1412864637_thumb.jpg

post-328-0-61383600-1412864744_thumb.jpg

Edited by noirrac1j

Funny story regarding the movement holders. All my toys have started arriving this week, Rodico, new loupe, and holder, new screw drivers and mat. The holders came in 4040 an 4039 and I thought...they have sent the wrong ones this box is so small. They are small all the ones in Mark's videos are normal size. Then I realized Mark's are enlarged with the camera and closeup. Kind of a funny moment for me.

Yeah Gary,

I've had the same impression. The scale makes it seem that they should be bigger....When I saw Mark cleaning the incabloc jewels, I thought to myself "oh yeah I can do that". When I actually tried it I realized that these little hinges are super delicate and the jewels are smaller than the size of a grain of salt! I don't know what I was expecting, but yeah it does make an impression when you actually see the true size. By the way, did you get non-metal or metal holders?

JC

I couldn't resist but chime in and I have to admit, I got the bergeon 4040 AND the 4040-P, i.e. both metal and plastic models. I also have the equivalent horotec metal one. I have to admit that the 4040 in metal holds better for me.

Also, it kind of hurt to get the little tools after you've written a big check! :notfair:

Hey Bob I was wondering if the metal ones hold better, so thanks for your input. There are instances that the movement (especially when its just the bottom plate) slowly shifts in the plastic, and I have to tighten it to an extreme. I often wondered whether a metal 4040 would provide a more secure hold. I just ordered another Bergeon 4040 but got it in plastic again because I tend to over-tighten and I'm afraid the metal one's would leave a mark

JC

Same problem JC, so I thought it was a Bergeon thing and bought the Horotec.

My main problem was the Seiko 7S36 which has a "built in" plastic ring. At some point during reassembly you need to incorporate it back. The grip on the holder changes and tends to slip. Then after much frustration I finally bought the metal one and it works fine now. It doesn't leave any marks and I do tighten it sometimes if you know what I mean. I believe the whole thing about the plastic one was a "complain" by rolex so they developped it.

In the end, I ended up with three but now I only use the original Bergeon one in metal.

Edited by bobm12

Hey Gary,

Yes I use the plastic 4040 and have ordered another. Even though I just told Bobm12 that sometimes the movements do slip, I think in general they are good, light weight and reversible. Let me know how the metal ones are. I want to try them. I just got a Rodania and a Bulova to work on....

JC

HI lr,

Apparently 2836-2 is the ETA movement (It should be engraved under the balance wheel, on the main plate) which is a very popular one and there are lots of parts for it yet out there! Probably the 649 is the model of the watch...(?)

Edited by bobm12

Thank you very much Bob for your time and advice! This is some of the thing I'm trying to find!

Not any luck finding them!

ETA 2836-2

Need date ring @6 white numbers black background.

09 369 70 Helium valve titanium

05 23731 dial black for 649-7541P

49 150 7541 2101 red black bezel

06 3004 minute hand, red/black with SLN

49 112 7541 01 Xtal washer 7541

49 118 7541 01 Case back Gasket for 7541

Edited by lr1022

Hey Bob!

Thank you for the suggest-chins! Ofrei has great prices on tools! (there customer service was very nice and helpfully!) But no good for parts for the Oris!

Oris is not fun to try and find parts for! No body can get or find parts!

Edited by lr1022
  • Like 1

You are welcome lr,

Remember you are asking for parts for an ETA 2836-2 which should be available (date ring). As for the rest of the watch, - the Oris built itself, hands, etc, - it is a pity because it is a beautiful watch. Probably the hands can be sourced from an Omega (ofrei has them), the bezel insert could be a good quality generic and the gasket a generic one. Then it is only the helium valve and the washer... I'd say, almost there, keep looking and never give up!

Edited by bobm12