Good day!

Hello,

I have just joined and see that there are lots of new members here, many of whom seem to be novices like me.

I confess that not only is my interest in watches very recently acquired but I am honest enough to admit that I don't know if it will last: my real love is photography. However, I have recently bought a very nice-looking watch at a thrift store: it cost me about $12 and I was so pleased with it that I spent $30 on a new leather strap for it. I have also bought some basic tools for changing straps and batteries. My interest is in watches as aesthetic items, and in watch-collecting, rather than in watch repair: I don't have a good natural aptitude for fixing things. But I do like to "have a go" and am quite careful and methodical. If I am going to buy watches cheap, online or in thrift stores, they may well need fixing up to a greater or lesser degree.

If I want to start a basic watch collection my first instinct is to aim for a variety of styles and mechanisms. My two watches  both have quartz movements. My thoughts right now are that the quartz movement is, by far, the most sensible technology for watches. It's the most accurate time-keeper and also very economical i.e. cheap! However, I am hankering after acquiring a watch with either a mechanical movement or possibly an Accutron, tuning fork movement. I would appreciate any advice on how to plan my next purchase. Really I think I am just going to use my aesthetic sense: some very expensive watches can, to my eyes, be quite vulgar in appearance while some cheaper watches can surprise me with their elegance.

Hi Tempus, Good wishes for collecting the watches. Yes, the Quartz watch has taken over for cost effectiveness and timekeeping.  However there is a little magic about a mechanical lever escapement with its associated gear train and going barrel for power etc. I know little about the Hummers,  only the theory of how they work.

After repair/service there is a certain satisfaction in getting a mechanical watch to perform nicely but not quite the same feeling for a Quartz movement. Just my opinion. I am Not a watchmaker, but a Jobber Fixer,  however there is expert help from very skilled and helpful people on this fine forum. When you start repairing go carefully and take advice from say Henry Fried`s book and the Witschi article on quartz watches. Welcome and all good wishes, Mike.

Hi Tempus!

If you are mostly interested in the external aesthetics of the watch,  then quartz is fine. Old ones can often be brought back to life with a movement swap, which is relatively easy.  The hard part can be finding out what movement is available that will replace the one in your watch, sometimes the original can't be had, but there may be a substitute.

In any case, you should be able to find a lot of info on this site, and if you can't find what you need with the search function, make a post and it's very likely that someone here will be able to answer.

Have Fun!

• 2 weeks later...