Modernising a Watch with Sentimental Value

ash.bez

Question

4 minutes ago, jdm said:

Good intent and welcome, but before going at something of sentimental value I really recommend to that you practice first on something of no real value and about which you don't care about. It's very normal for beginners to make irremediable mistakes (I did many too) and underestimate the difficulty of tasks, as well the need for specific tools, etc.

I agree with what you are saying completely. I plan to only keep the case and back and replace everything else. I would have loved to put a mechanical movement in the watch but I think it’s too small (33.9mm x 7.1mm). 

My plan is to have the case and back replated and have the back blanked of its manufacturers engraving so as I can have a blank canvas to have something engraved on it myself. I was hoping to get advice on what movements could be used and buy the parts ready for a watchmaker to assemble as like you said, I don’t want to ruin the watch. 

I’ve already started sourcing/ordering parts which was a little silly without any advice so I’ll post what I have ordered below (if rules permit me to do so?). 

91FE7A54-EE7A-47D3-BF35-73CF944BBB93.jpeg

2B614C4F-BBFC-4B29-8B26-B42E675AB4B3.jpeg

6 answers to this question

1 minute ago, ash.bez said:

I would have loved to put a mechanical movement in the watch but I think it’s too small (33.9mm x 7.1mm). 

That would have made it really another watch, not your grandfather one. You can do such swaps on other models, but normally is not practical  or worth the work.

1 minute ago, ash.bez said:

My plan is to have the case and back replated and have the back blanked of its manufacturers engraving so as I can have a blank canvas to have something engraved on it myself.

Case and back seems fine and will look good with a light polishing. You will find that replating is expensive and often does not lead to the desired results. If the mov.t works just leave it alone otherwise replace with a new Seiko one. As mentioned above my opinion is that objects kept as memories are best left just as owned by the missed person.

Thanks again jdm. Unfortunately the gold plating on the case is in bad shape and has flaked off in numerous areas, the dial has corrosion around the edges and the movement has stopped working. I appreciate what you’re saying regarding changing the look of the watch but the watch was given to me to remember my grandfather with and I still feel that having the original case with an inscription on the back will do this plus it will get far more wrist time as it is currently just collecting dust. 

Hi there,

this is my first post and I hope that I can tap some of your vast knowledge to help me with my labour of love project. 

I was given my grandfathers watch as a keepsake when he passed and although it is worthless in terms of monetary value it obviously has great sentimental value to me. 

I know many of you may disagree with my plans for the watch (keep the case and back and have replated and the case back ‘blanked’ ready for engraving and replace everything else) but it has just collected dust since I was given it. 

The case is in bad shape and the gold plating is flaking in numerous areas. The movement has stopped working and the dial has corrosion starting around the edges. 

My plan is to have the plating done myself and source all the relevant parts ready for a watchmaker to assemble. I have jumped the gun slightly and have started buying parts without advice (may turn out to be a silly move!). The parts I have bought are below;

D100 (29.2mm domed crystal) from watch-batteries.com

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/31-5-28-5mm-Bliger-Black-Dial-Ming-zhu-2813-3804-Miyota-82-Series-Movement-P576/262934969958

I was wondering if there are any hand wind movements that would fit the case? If I need to purchase a different face then so be it as I was a little hasty in purchasing this!

If there isn’t a mechanical movement that will fit I have been looking at the Ronda quartz movements (6003.D). Would these be compatible?

Sorry for the long winded post but I hope you can all help. 

Many thanks in advance, Ashley. imageproxy.php?img=&key=77f0dcc5ac0f9d5b

BDCE7532-CD04-4DBD-A901-7A2B10772F73.jpeg

2340A790-ED07-4E8F-9EB2-ED3F6A37D76B.jpeg

22 minutes ago, ash.bez said:

I was given my grandfathers watch as a keepsake when he passed and although it is worthless in terms of monetary value it obviously has great sentimental value to me. 

I know many of you may disagree with my plans for the watch (keep the case and back and have replated and the case back ‘blanked’ ready for engraving and replace everything else) but it has just collected dust since I was given it. 

Most subjects already discussed at: https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/8593-introducing-myself/
I would appreciate if you could keep the discussion into a single topic, and will merge the two, as you indicate into which section you prefer this to be.

If there isn’t a mechanical movement that will fit I have been looking at the Ronda quartz movements (6003.D). Would these be compatible?

No. Your watch has a Seiko V501 mov.t which can be replaced with an Y121, cost about $2. Anything else, quartz or mechanical will not fit.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Most subjects already discussed at: https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/8593-introducing-myself/
I would appreciate if you could keep the discussion into a single topic, and will merge the two, as you indicate into which section you prefer this to be.

Thanks for the reply. It would probably be best left here if that’s ok as this post has more information. 

• Similar Content