ash.bez

Modernising a Watch with Sentimental Value

Question

4 minutes ago, jdm said:

Good intent and welcome, but before going at something of sentimental value I really recommend to that you practice first on something of no real value and about which you don't care about. It's very normal for beginners to make irremediable mistakes (I did many too) and underestimate the difficulty of tasks, as well the need for specific tools, etc.

I agree with what you are saying completely. I plan to only keep the case and back and replace everything else. I would have loved to put a mechanical movement in the watch but I think it’s too small (33.9mm x 7.1mm). 

My plan is to have the case and back replated and have the back blanked of its manufacturers engraving so as I can have a blank canvas to have something engraved on it myself. I was hoping to get advice on what movements could be used and buy the parts ready for a watchmaker to assemble as like you said, I don’t want to ruin the watch. 

I’ve already started sourcing/ordering parts which was a little silly without any advice so I’ll post what I have ordered below (if rules permit me to do so?). 

91FE7A54-EE7A-47D3-BF35-73CF944BBB93.jpeg

2B614C4F-BBFC-4B29-8B26-B42E675AB4B3.jpeg

6 answers to this question

1 minute ago, ash.bez said:

I would have loved to put a mechanical movement in the watch but I think it’s too small (33.9mm x 7.1mm). 

That would have made it really another watch, not your grandfather one. You can do such swaps on other models, but normally is not practical  or worth the work.

1 minute ago, ash.bez said:

My plan is to have the case and back replated and have the back blanked of its manufacturers engraving so as I can have a blank canvas to have something engraved on it myself.

Case and back seems fine and will look good with a light polishing. You will find that replating is expensive and often does not lead to the desired results. If the mov.t works just leave it alone otherwise replace with a new Seiko one. As mentioned above my opinion is that objects kept as memories are best left just as owned by the missed person.

Thanks again jdm. Unfortunately the gold plating on the case is in bad shape and has flaked off in numerous areas, the dial has corrosion around the edges and the movement has stopped working. I appreciate what you’re saying regarding changing the look of the watch but the watch was given to me to remember my grandfather with and I still feel that having the original case with an inscription on the back will do this plus it will get far more wrist time as it is currently just collecting dust. 

Hi there,

this is my first post and I hope that I can tap some of your vast knowledge to help me with my labour of love project. 

I was given my grandfathers watch as a keepsake when he passed and although it is worthless in terms of monetary value it obviously has great sentimental value to me. 

I know many of you may disagree with my plans for the watch (keep the case and back and have replated and the case back ‘blanked’ ready for engraving and replace everything else) but it has just collected dust since I was given it. 

The case is in bad shape and the gold plating is flaking in numerous areas. The movement has stopped working and the dial has corrosion starting around the edges. 

My plan is to have the plating done myself and source all the relevant parts ready for a watchmaker to assemble. I have jumped the gun slightly and have started buying parts without advice (may turn out to be a silly move!). The parts I have bought are below;

D100 (29.2mm domed crystal) from watch-batteries.com

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/31-5-28-5mm-Bliger-Black-Dial-Ming-zhu-2813-3804-Miyota-82-Series-Movement-P576/262934969958

I was wondering if there are any hand wind movements that would fit the case? If I need to purchase a different face then so be it as I was a little hasty in purchasing this!

If there isn’t a mechanical movement that will fit I have been looking at the Ronda quartz movements (6003.D). Would these be compatible?

Sorry for the long winded post but I hope you can all help. 

Many thanks in advance, Ashley. imageproxy.php?img=&key=77f0dcc5ac0f9d5b

BDCE7532-CD04-4DBD-A901-7A2B10772F73.jpeg

2340A790-ED07-4E8F-9EB2-ED3F6A37D76B.jpeg

22 minutes ago, ash.bez said:

I was given my grandfathers watch as a keepsake when he passed and although it is worthless in terms of monetary value it obviously has great sentimental value to me. 

I know many of you may disagree with my plans for the watch (keep the case and back and have replated and the case back ‘blanked’ ready for engraving and replace everything else) but it has just collected dust since I was given it. 

Most subjects already discussed at: https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/8593-introducing-myself/
I would appreciate if you could keep the discussion into a single topic, and will merge the two, as you indicate into which section you prefer this to be.

If there isn’t a mechanical movement that will fit I have been looking at the Ronda quartz movements (6003.D). Would these be compatible?

No. Your watch has a Seiko V501 mov.t which can be replaced with an Y121, cost about $2. Anything else, quartz or mechanical will not fit.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Most subjects already discussed at: https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/8593-introducing-myself/
I would appreciate if you could keep the discussion into a single topic, and will merge the two, as you indicate into which section you prefer this to be.

Thanks for the reply. It would probably be best left here if that’s ok as this post has more information. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JayK
      Hello Everyone,
      I recently bought myself a cheap repair kit and I successfully changed the battery on this watch that was dormant in a drawer for about 4 years!
      However, the problem is I haven't done something right as the day sub dial is ticking away same as the second hand sub dial!, I'm sure it isn't meant to do that.
      I'm obviously putting it back together incorrectly and also the two little white plastic cogs you can see in the pics, I can't remember where they go?! If someone please can talk me through the process it would be massively appreciated or any pointers, advice would be great. Thank you

• By MrRoundel
      Greetings all. I think I may have made a mistake in buying a GP watch that has the 641-875 quartz movement in it. It's a nice looking watch, with a very solid case, but I didn't find out about the caliber number until after I bought it. The seller did not have an image of the movement. Since I usually like GP movements, I thought it was worth a little gamble on getting it running, even if I had to clean it. After the auction ended I found out about these GP quartz movements that are impossible to get parts for, and that the dead ones usually need a circuit that is made of unobtainium.
      Since the watch had an old battery (Union Carbide brand) in it I figured that I might get lucky and get it running with a fresh battery. I wasn't counting on that happening since the guy who sold it was a watch guy. It would be hard to believe that he didn't at least try a new battery in there. Anyway, it didn't get it running.
      Does anyone know about these rather interesting old quartz movements? I believe it is from the late seventies perhaps? Is there any use in seeing if one of those quartz movement "spinners" could free things up? Unfortunately, it's not like GP provides technical info the way a company like ETA does, so if I take it apart I'll have to take a lot of images as I do. Anyway, any help on this is appreciated. Thanks ahead of time. Stay healthy, all. Cheers.

• By oldboy
      I am considering selling leather watch straps, but I have a question before I blindly go ahead and produce a bunch of them.
      I am wondering if anybody who has worked in the industry for a while can tell me what the most common sizes are of strap pins or lug widths?
      I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
      Anthony
    • By Rob1949
      Hi
      I new to this forum and I am looking for some advice please. I have a Breitling Top Time 2006-33
      I have removed the rear cover and taken of the winder and unscrewed the screw hold the movement
      the movement is free within the body, however I cannot see how to remove it from the body. Any suggestion or help would be most welcome. Regards Rob1949
    • By jbirkrepair
      Hi, I recently purchased a Seiko GMT Perpetual off eBay. The watch has a 8f56 Movement which is the high accuracy quartz movement. 
      The watch was purchased with a low battery (indicated by the second hand ticking every 5 seconds).
      I've since replaced the battery and reset the perpetual calendar, the watch was working for about 3 hours and then just stopped. I've since tried to reset the perpetual calendar again and it doesn't do anything just completely dead. 
      I recently went to a local watch repair shop and they said it would need a entirely new movement and would set me back £250 for it. It would however be done by Seiko not themselves. 
      Any help is much appreciated.