Hello All,

I would like to introduce myself and thank you for welcoming me onto this forum.

I have just been introduced to this site via Mark Lovic's video tutorials on utube.  I think the tutorials are fascinating. I would like to know more about watch repairing. Does any one know of any courses etc. I found these tutorials and this site by chance while trolling through the internet looking for a new watch . 

Kind Regards

Colin

Hello

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

I have had a quick look at the link you sent and note its in the US and I live in the UK.  I haven't  had a chance to look properly yet but I wonder they might do a course online.

Regards

Colin

Hello Colin and its good to have you here. 

Look forward to hearing about your projects, problems and successes.  Never get in a bind just post a help request and someone will probably know something or at least where to look for a solution.

My only suggestions are to look through previous postings and Marks Vids, get a good book and your tools (don't skimp on the screwdrivers - I did and regretted it before shelling out for some good ones) and then get a cheapo watch or even just a movement off EBay or the like.

Take it apart getting a close up of every stage before you remove screws etc. (ps one of those screws will probably be a left hand thread) and after they are removed, before you lift pieces up, pause and be gentle, try not to disturb whats underneath before you get a close up of it and only then take out the bits and photo again (I use an ipad or iphone - thank heavens for digital), clean it all and put it back together. These are some of the things to think about but I can't possibly list all the things I have done wrong in the past, which is mainly the opposite of what I am suggesting you try to do.

Lastly prepare to spend loads of time on your hands and knees trying to find fly away bits especially springs and screws.

Not so long ago I did all of this and the watch worked, I asked for help when I got stuck, it was given and the watch is still ticking away merrily - Wonderfully satisfying feeling.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

Yes Don, I took -- mainly, I'm still taking -- all 3 (I go back and forth as needed). The reason is they don't expire, I understand,  and the information there is pretty much best practice and approaches Swatch "guidelines". As a matter of fact, the instructor used to work for one of the Swatch Group companies and is a real instructor in a watchmaker school, I believe in the Netherlands. The link is also very useful with the ofrei site since they are the official "store" for the school and are more helpful -- also better prices -- than with regular customers.

The 3 courses are complementing one another so #1 is not a complete service unless you have all 3.

On the other hand, the seiko "course" was an attempt -- and I mean an attempt for the reasons listed later -- to an online class. I figure the people that started this class became more involved in business and not quite watch repair than in knowledge. Also I believe, the instructor, a full, apparently reputable and knowledgeable watchmaker couldn't find the time to keep up with his many occupations. But whatever legacy he left through that link is an almost full servicing of the Seiko 7S26/7S36 and very nice at it.

Since this is a free class, I highly recommend it but you will get a lot more -- if starting from zero -- if the TZ class is taken first or at least at the same time. All in all they all complement one another...probably as everything watchmaking.

One thing, also my belief, is that all those are nothing without Mark's videos which actually demonstrate techniques discused or hinted in class and/or teach some new, more practical approaches to them. And as everything else, this community here at WRT...well you know the rest!

I hope this helps in your watchmaking interests. BTW, did you introduced yourself to TZ class on 9/4?  Either that or we have a student in class with your name! I sign as Robert always.

Robert

Edited by bobm12
  • Like 1

Hello Guys,

I would like to thank you all for your warm welcome and tips. 

I have always been interested in watch repairs and have bought some tools and managed to repairer some and make some worse, Ha.  Like I say I found this site by chance but can feel another addiction coming on.

Kind regards

Colin

Hello Vic

Thanks for the tips.  I know what you mean about the satisfaction of repairing something and watching it come too life.  I have messed around with boats all my life I do all my own work and I get the same satisfaction when something is running right.  However now I have found this site I can feel a new addiction coming on.

Regards

Colin

Hi Bob,

Thanks once again for taking the time to send me those links.

I have just taken the time to look at the second link you sent me i.e. the Seiko tutorial and I am mesmerised its fascinating stuff.  

I have taken Vic's advice,( thanks Vic), and ordered some decent tools as listed on the Seiko tutorial and I  will order the relevant Seiko movement.

I cant wait to get started.

Regards

Colin