Citizen Eco-Drive CTZ-A8083 Glass

I managed to smash the glass in my Citizen Eco-Drive CTZ-8083 with a hammer whilst working.

Glass shattered and all fell out. The watch itself is still working fine amazingly.

I would like to have a go at replacing the glass myself but how do I find out the exact specifications of the replacement glass I need?

Thanks 

Richard

For this watch you pretty much need a generic round flat mineral glass. You're going to need a pair of calipers to measure the diameter and thickness of the glass.

A bit complicated to do without the glass itself but still doable. You should at least be able to get the thickness if you have any pieces left from it. As for the diameter you just measure the slot in which the glass stays.

You can order them from CousinsUK as they are cheap and you could get a few sizes to be sure that you're getting it right the first time.

The calipers need to be double digits for best accuracy.

Oh, you also need a glass press. Cheapest chinese ones go for about 10-15$ on ebay. Some glasses also have a plastic gasket around them, some don't.

9 minutes ago, Chopin said:

For this watch you pretty much need a generic round flat mineral glass. You're going to need a pair of calipers to measure the diameter and thickness of the glass.

A bit complicated to do without the glass itself but still doable. You should at least be able to get the thickness if you have any pieces left from it. As for the diameter you just measure the slot in which the glass stays.

You can order them from CousinsUK as they are cheap and you could get a few sizes to be sure that you're getting it right the first time.

The calipers need to be double digits for best accuracy.

Oh, you also need a glass press. Cheapest chinese ones go for about 10-15$ on ebay. Some glasses also have a plastic gasket around them, some don't.

I was rather hoping that it was possible to obtain the glass specification from the model itself as there is no glass remaining to measure.

You will only find the OEM glass for specific models usually the top of the line ones or the really popular models.

It's not difficult to make the necessary measurements on the case if you have some calipers.

39 minutes ago, Chopin said:

You will only find the OEM glass for specific models usually the top of the line ones or the really popular models.

It's not difficult to make the necessary measurements on the case if you have some calipers.

Better buy some calipers then. 

I assume that will help me with the diameter but what about the thickness?

It's a bit difficult to measure the hypothetical height of the glass because you can't fit the calipers "inside" the case but you're going to have to approximate that one until you find the more or less right thickness.

Most glasses have a thickness of 1mm, 1,5mm, 2mm, 2,5mm, etc. You get the idea. So just try and see what is the closest figure.

I recently had to replace the glass of a Seiko. The original one had a thickness of about 3,2mm but I went with 3mm and it fit perfectly. Even looks better. So my advice would be to go with the slightly smaller height, in case the glass had a less common thickness.

3 minutes ago, Chopin said:

I recently had to replace the glass of a Seiko. The original one had a thickness of about 3,2mm but I went with 3mm and it fit perfectly. Even looks better. 

Seiko, and I guess many other makers, often don't use "standard" thickness. For example, caseback crystals can be 1.6mm, not 1.5.
But as mentioned that is not much of a problem, the nearest common thickness will do just fine.

I know that they don't always use common thicknesses but since he said that he can't find an OEM I suggested a generic one.

As I said I just fitted a generic one on a Seiko and it looks pretty much spot on. You can't tell the difference at all because it's just 0,2mm or so...

I think I have the diameter sorted but struggling with the glass height.

I can measure the recess but do I measure to the gasket? or to the base of the metal where the gasket sits? and do I allow for some glass to sit proud of the frame? say .2mm?

cheers

R