Workbench Height Solution.

Most amateur watchmakers use existing tables or work tops for doing their repairs. The big problem is the height is usually far to low to be comfortable when working for long periods. The cost of a proper watchmakers workbench is in most cases prohibitive, bearing in mind I am talking about hobbiests and not professionals.

My solution to the problem was to make a small table to sit on top of my computer desk that gives extra working height. It also slips underneath the computer monitor and allows normal desk height when I require to use my wee lathe. The Bergeon sheet has been trimmed down to A4. I decided on A4 as it allows me to use a clean sheet of A4 paper every time I assemble a movement. All edges are raised to prevent components rolling off, the front edge being slightly lower than the others. The overall height is 150mm, but this could be made to suit the individual. Ideally I would have made it slightly taller, but it would not slide underneath my computer monitor.

Here's a couple of photos.

post-124-0-66514500-1411207114_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-86361200-1411207157_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-23027600-1411207194_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

That is a beautifully simple solution! BTW, why does everyone's work space start looking the same? No matter how much room you think you'll have it's never enough! ......same with car garages!

Edited by DJW

Geo,

Very nice work.  Do you have construction plans for it?

BTW,  what's the lighter fluid for, cleaning parts?

Sorry I don't have plans, they were just scribbled on a piece of paper when I made it two years ago. As I said, the working area on the top fits an A4 sheet of paper exactly, you could scale it from there. The height would really depend on what the individual was comfortable with.

The lighter fluid is for cleaning parts. If I'm working on a really filthy watch I like to soak it in lighter fluid before cleaning the parts ultrasonically.

Orrrrrrrrrrr, if you haven't got time, or funds, I made one out of a cardboard box, filled with bubble wrap for rigidity, finished in imitation leather fabric stuff and an A4 cutting mat on top ....... works brilliantly ....

post-227-0-97264200-1417112555_thumb.jpg

Stores at side of work area.....

post-227-0-99641200-1417112625_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Bought a few of these a while back, they work perfect on a standard desk top:

post-80-0-80514900-1417126549.jpg

they are available here: http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/a/pb/Wooden-3-Drawer-Unit-Silver/pr=Q29&id=3TNP-SB/

I plan on fixing 2 or 3 together and making a top similar to this:

post-80-0-46006300-1417127190.jpg

would buy one but the cost in excess of £1000.

I am in the process of refitting the office at present & will post a pic once finished.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

4 hours ago, tomh207 said:

Hello @tomh207

No joy there:

image.png.8de39a706926f2c35d8794c3b3697a53.png

I am currently developing the plans for a simple Portable Watchmakers Desk.

I have already started talking with some manufacturers in South China about making them from a sustainable source (Bamboo or Pine).

They will have:

- An A2-sized 3-sided top
- Integrated carry handles
- 2x2 drawers configuration (4 total)
- Sturdy base w/ integrated adjustable feet

Here's some concept drawings...

image.thumb.png.19387987ba808c184d15dc6d8e55462a.png

Here's a general idea of what the material (bamboo) looks like.  Personally, I like the way it looks. 🙂

image.png.81a9657ba21c43de206aeff97d05f7bd.png

g.
----

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tomh207 said:

Doing further research they they don’t look that good Gramham 

sorry

Tom

Hello @tomh207,

You mean the drawers you referenced in your post?  That's too bad...

Well, you can always critique the Portable Watch Repairers Bench that I'm trying to define and develop here in China if you are so inclined and have the time...  🙂

g.
----

• 1 year later...
On 8/21/2022 at 8:54 AM, Gramham said:

have already started talking with some manufacturers in South China about making them from a sustainable source (Bamboo or Pine).

Hey there! Any forward movement on this Idea? Love the idea of a simple lower cost watch bench... 

On 1/20/2024 at 11:28 PM, Yani365 said:

Hey there! Any forward movement on this Idea? Love the idea of a simple lower cost watch bench... 

unfortunately Gramham hasn’t been back on the site for some time so at the moment this project is unlikely to come to fruition. I have seen a lot of people these days going for raising and lowering desks so there is flexibility, normal height for microscope use, higher for when you need to get up close and personal with a movement. I wish I had gone down this route as I can see the advantages now. Oh, you can get adjustable arm rests from Amazon, made for computer use but as watch fiddlers we adapt and modify all sorts of stuff.

Tom

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

. I have seen a lot of people these days going for raising and lowering desks so there is flexibility, normal height for microscope use, higher for when you need to get up close and personal with a movement. I wish I had gone down this route as I can see the advantages now.

I have a height adjustable desk, and it made a world of difference. My wife insisted I get one about 2 years ago as I was constantly complaining about neck ache. Should always listen to the wife! Gone are 99% of all watch related aches and pains. I also found that using a scope for most of my work instead of a loupe or visor also forced me to sit upright with good posture instead of hunching and causing neck/back strain.

The desks aren't too much more than an ordinary one, I was surprised at how little the cost difference was +25% (ish)

In short I would highly recommend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomh207 said:

unfortunately Gramham hasn’t been back on the site for some time so at the moment this project is unlikely to come to fruition. I have seen a lot of people these days going for raising and lowering desks so there is flexibility, normal height for microscope use, higher for when you need to get up close and personal with a movement. I wish I had gone down this route as I can see the advantages now. Oh, you can get adjustable arm rests from Amazon, made for computer use but as watch fiddlers we adapt and modify all sorts of stuff.

Tom

🤔 strange sort of chap, lots of ideas, fingers in pies, bravado and bull tbh lol. I think i had a little dig once when things didn't add up and he never came back , oops sorry about that gramham some things i cant tolerate. 

• Haha 1

Hi Waggy. Ihave a custom made desk built from redundant kitchen units with drawers and a cupboard,  not pretty but practical. I also made a desk top one with a drawer again from bits to use in the house in winter as the workshop has minimal heat and the fingers suffer. So it is quite possible a lot of members have the skills to do the same, it’s not rocket science by any means. Do you have a picture of your bench so others who may be interested can get an idea.    Thanks

• Like 2