Chime gears

RockyRR

Ok, folks, this is my 1st post and I need some help.  I was given an old mantle clock (an Ingraham according to the winding key) that didn't work.  I now have the clock ticking with its pendulum.  However, when I turn the hands to make the chine hammer strike, it only does it once no matter the time.  Even when I lift the bar (blue arrow in picture) it only moves one "notch" (see red arrow).  I expected it to go from one shallow notch to the next until it got to a deep notch.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rocky

Presentation1.jpg

I’m going to use the same terms as show in the video so as not to confuse you.

The worn stop lever (blue) needs to sit into the cam wheel slot, the green lever should lift from the counting wheel (make sure the green lever is free to lift out of the counting wheel. Make sure when the blue lever starts to rise so the green lever should also rise. When the count wheel moves from tooth to tooth the blue lever must be high enough to keep turning, only when the green lever falls in to the longer slots of the count wheel should the blue lever drop into the slot of the cam wheel. On the warning, the yellow worn pin should be at about 45 to 50 on a dial face. It should be at that position before the warning starts, make sure the hammer does not start to lift at that moment. This other photo,  I have marked in red this wheel has a pin that that engages in the teeth of the count wheel which moves the count wheel forward.      

I hope I have not confused you. Keep me up to date. I am here to help. The strike on American clocks is not easy to understand, with it having so many levers.

414_A_8_day_Ogee_After.jpg

• Like 1