When you know it's sealed but then..........

Had a citizen eco drive given to me by a work mate after he smashed the crystal, I replaced the crystal with a gen from cousins as all was well, gave the watch back, about a month later it came back my way because it was steaming up and the strap was broken.

I had it for about a week where it sat de cased in my airing cupboard drying out for 48hrs  I then re cased the movement and greased the seal and screwed it back together again, just to confirm no steaming of crystal I wore it for a day and got no steaming, gave the watch back today and within 5 hours it's steamed up, not been near any water just steamed up, ive told him to stick it in a bag of rice with the crown pulled for the night and see what happens, can't think of anything else to say or do

I had issues with an older Hamilton which steamed up. Ended up having to fit a new double-o-ring crown and upsized the tension ring crystal by 0.1mm to get a tighter seal. Only then would it pass as waterproof on the Witschi Proofmaster.

I did check and grease the crown seal, as it's just a push in crown and not a screw in one and neither pusher has a screw lock I wasnt happy putting it in the tester and ramping it up to the rather ambitious claim of 10 ATM water resistance, i,ll be honest now, due the fact that there are no screw down parts I didn't put it in the tester. I might see are out the crystal gasket and enlarging it by that amount, its just puzzling me as to why it didn't steam up for me but has for him

Same happened with me the watch above: fine for me, but steamed up for someone else. It’s hard to know what might cause it, but it may be related to the air expanding and contracting within the case.