Movement ID?

Hi all,

Got my hands on another of these late 30's watches. Didn't run at first but soon found that the issue was due to a turn of the HS that had positioned itself over the HS stud and effectively prevented any operation. Possibly caused by the same guy who tried to top up the watch with oil via the winding stem inlet :-)

Once corrected, it ticks along nicely.

As I like to id the movements I fiddle with even if they are working, I have uploaded a couple of snaps for feedback.

The star-in-shield symbol indicates this should be a Venus75 but all photos I find (ranfft included) show a quite different bridge design even though the dial side seems to be identical with Venus 75.

Where variations of this kind common in these days?

Also curious if anyone knows about the letters ( A R. ??) on the bridge.

I suppose it's a brand id but since the dial and casing have no brand indication whatsoever, I'm happy for feedback.

e82c5a8ffaeaa3f7565b3949ef2fcc2a.jpg5be0cabf7be02766fbdb850e57eb9156.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi rogart63,

Maybe...? AR apparently comes from Aristide Racine, one of the founders.

I did some googling and there's for sure connections between Enicar and Venus. But they seem to be of more recent history.

Regardless it's interesting to see the large variation even within a caliber designation as Venus 75. I can't help wondering about the driving forces behind designing a special bridge to fit this base plate.

Was it just about having "your own" and being able to put your logo on the design?

Doesn't really makes sense in this case where the dial and case are completely anonymous and that's what the regular consumer will see...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk