Ww1 Trench Watch

Interesting watch to service. NO id but after a lot of searching found that this watch is a WW1 Trench watch & was most likely made by "excalibur" Hinged both from & rear of watch also this case  is 18ct gold

The Trench watch or wristlet was a type of watch that came into use by the military during World War I, as pocket watches were not practical in combat. The trench watch had to be rugged. Yet many trench watches were actually pocket watch conversions, with most having a clam shell back and snap on bezel. SHIELDS or SHRAPNEL GUARDS were introduced to protect the crystal of watches from damage due to life in a trench and not from artillery. It protected  the crystal from accidental breakage.

post-234-0-08700500-1406909652_thumb.jpg[post-234-0-19400700-1406909655_thumb.jpgpost-234-0-76000200-1406909656_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-59769900-1406909653_thumb.jpg

Edited by clockboy

It's a lovely watch but I somehow doubt that it was an trench watch from WW1. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected, but I'm very sceptical about many watches of this type being military watches - unless you have actual provenance. You're welcome to read what I've written on my  watch web site at: http://www.willswatchpages.com/trench-watches.html - and, of course, you're welcome to disagree with me totally! :D

• Like 1

Thanks Willfly

It is just that the dates are about correct as this watch was handed down from her grandmother but not with the original strap.

It is really difficult to get an exact ID as there are no clear markings on the case but made in Switzerland is marked on the movement.

I found a web site selling this exact calibre watch as a trench watch so I presumed this was it.

I will have to do more research.

Edited by clockboy

Sorry Will the only marks that are readable are 18 with 75 at right angles which I presumed is the 18ct marks and stating that 75% is gold.

There are other really,really faint marks but I just can not decipher exactly what they are. I think the marks are letters G & S.

There is also a number 14002.

The case of this watch is very badly worn & battered.

Edited by clockboy

Interestingly enough, I've just bought a silver wrist watch with "GS" marking on the inside of the case - and it's not dissimilar in style to the one you show. "GS" in this instance stands for George Stockwell, who was a well-known watch seller and importer of movements from Switzerland. I'll have some better pics when it comes in.

post-64-0-55022800-1406922217_thumb.jpg

This one dates from 1928.

Will,

Struggled with the macro photography as you will see attached

However found using a microscope some other numbers scratched on 38052

The case No. is 14002

Hallmark is really badly worn the first symbol has the shape of the letter C followed by the letter in lower case   r

Also leters G & S

The customer said her grandmother received the watch when she was aged 21 which we calculated as about 1928 ish

post-234-0-61747000-1406998129_thumb.jpg

Edited by clockboy