Need Help With Stem Removal

This is a friend's watch. She needed a new battery and I offered to change it. When I removed the back, I immediately knew this watch had issues. Someone had put a sticker over the battery to hold it in place. When I removed the sticker/battery,the battery contact was bent and every time I attempted to put a battery in, it would pop out!!! I had to take the watch home and finally got the battery to stay in. Then I was unable to pop the back back on, so I had to use a watch press. I finally had the watch ready to be cleaned on the outside and scratches buffed out, I went to set it to the correct time and guess what.... the crown broke off!!!! OMG!!!

This watch looks a little different at the stem and I have tried to remove the stem by pressing a dimple, but no go. I'm afraid to put too much pressure on it and I need to make sure I'm pressing at the correct location. All I want is to get this watch back to my friend in working order!!!!! Thanks in advance for any advise!!!!post-278-0-00337400-1406587997_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-27811900-1406591310_thumb.jpg

Hi SuzyQ,

Welcome to the forum. Help is on the way!

And don't worry, all will be well. I understand your frustration but patience is all powerful when with watches!

So, in those cases, I usually use 2 tweezers to pull the stem out. One to push the stem release lever (usually through a hole or a little "button") -- I believe the hole on the left of the stem in the picture but it is not too clear -- and the other tweezer to grab at the stem proper and pull. This pull is usually by parts since there is not much room for a full pull of the stem. You might even have to wriggle the tweezers side to side...Be careful since you are working inside the watch! In any case, that's what I do. Maybe other members have a better way of doing it?

I hope some of this helps!

One question from the picture, is that a portion of the crown still attached to the watch or just the tube where the stem fits in? Is part of the stem still in the crown where it broke?

Robert

• Like 1

The center of the crown is still attached.Just the outside of it broke off. I posted a clearer pic of the watch. Thanks Robert. I have tried two tweezers. Can you look at the third pic I posted and see if you can help me??? Thanks bunches!!!

Is there an arrow or some indication next to the stem to the left front or is it simply the movement information? How about to the right between the stem and the battery? There is usually an indication about the right spot to stick the tweezers or a small sharp object to release the stem. On the other hand, it seems that you can still grab the stem by holding the portion of the crown still attached to it so the 2 tweezers trick might not be necessary. 

Remember to puch the release lever and pull the stem at the same time...kind of gently.

Edited by bobm12
  • Like 1

Thanks Bob for helping me. The writing is:

AL 21C

E P H

NO JEWELS

and the other is:

HONGKONG.

i do not see an arrow or indication where exactly to press. There is a "dimple" that I have tried to press, but no release. I don't want to press too hard since I am unsure if that's the place.

I think SuzyQ that it is more a hole or even the tip of a lever than a dimple (although dimple could work too) and you have to stick one leg of the tweezers in, gently and push. You will feel you are pushing something (springlike) down. At the same time the stem will become loose at your pull of it (it will detach). If that little end or bright point in the front left of the stem doesn't give, try another hole alonside the stem, gently, but look carefully first before you damage anything.

• Like 1

Thanks Bob. I've inspected the watch with my 20x loupe. I've gently tried several places. No go.... I've removed stems before so I know what the "spring" feels like. I'm a novice at this, but I enjoy working on character quartz watches I get from junk stores, online auctions, and yardsales and this one had been a pain!!! Murphy's law: if it was my watch, I would had it ready in one day!!! LOL I'm not going to try anymore tonight... maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right!!! LOL Tomorrow will be a new day!!!! :sleep:

Hi SuzyQ and welcome to the forum.

Sometimes the stems are quite stiff to operate. I would suggest that you use a small pair of narrow nose pliers to push the stem up and down from the running position to the setting position. When you do this look in the small hole to the right of the letters AL 12c and in either the setting position or running position a small lever with a dimple in it should appear. When it does, press it and the stem should come out. If that doesn't work, check other places, but remember that you will have to have the stem in the correct position to operate the release.

• Like 2

Thank you guys, I'm not too good at explaining! Great support! I wonder where Lee gets all the pictures! Amazing!

By the way Lee, I'm always visiting your blog, nice and to the point. Thank you for having it.

SusyQ, with all this help you have to have that stem out for sure! Tell us about your progress and please don't hesitate to ask away! It is a beautiful hobby.

• Like 1