What tool do I need to fit Rolex 1570 GMT hands?

chriz74

Hello, I have to send my Rolex GMT with 1570 (1575) caliber to Rolex Geneve for servicing. Since it's not clear what their policy is regarding yellow patina dials and hands (people tell they remove the old dials from watches and fit new services one then they keep the old parts). I need to save those parts from their hands so I need to fit a service dial that I own and some aftermarket hands.

I see that cousins has a box with all the hands but I need to know what tool I need to fit the hands back. I saw those horotec as in the picture, I don't know what diameter I need.

Does anyone know? the gmt has 4 hands the larger diameter one is the 24 hours hand. Also how do I hold the hands while refitting? I have antimagnetic tweezers already.

kyrBvfk.jpg?3

H19819_pic1_cmyk1.jpg

If you send the Rolex to a Rolex centre for a service they will change any aftermarket parts back to original Rolex parts. That was their policy a few years ago for sure. My wife had a Rolex but it had been fitted with a mineral crystal and it should have had fitted a acrylic crystal. They informed me if they serviced it they would have to re-fit a original acrylic as it was company policy.

I already did that and they don't reply. I asked specifically about the dial / hands. Their reply:

"...Furthermore please be kindly informed that we will only be able to answer your questions after your watch has been examined physically.

Once received, we will be able to provide you with our watchmakers feedback and we will inform you when it will be ready to be sent back to you.

This estimate will contain detailed information about the necessary and optional services as well as their prices."

I don't want to waste time and money sending the watch to discover later that they refuse to service it without replacing parts.

2 minutes ago, Ray said:

Personally I'd never send any of my watches to a service centre. If I couldn't do it myself then I'd much rather use a quality independent watch maker. Half the price and you're likely to get it back a lot quicker. 

Well, unfortunately all the watchmakers in my town are prone to lie and disaster making, there is no one that has specific Rolex training nor that can have Rolex parts and no one that is able to polish the case as it should be done. The case needs some restoring (some little parts to do with laser welding) and nobody does that here. Independents in Italy ask 500/1000 euros just for the case! So it's obvious it doesn't make any sense to give the watch to an indipendent here when I can get the job done for half the price at Rolex and get a 2 years warranty. The last time I gave this watch to an indipendent here he kept it for 4 months and an half and was not able to fix it.

To come back to your question: I bought this official geneva set a year ago and it works fine for me working on my rolex watches.

http://www.uhrenwerkzeuge24.de/werkzeug/zeiger-glas/3-zeigersetzer-official-geneva-basic.php

Concerning the process: There is a very good video from Mark on youtube where you can see how to fit the hands. Just google for "servicing rolex 3075".