Frequency Question.

18 hours ago, ftwizard said:

Is that the reason for differing rates? 

Theory says that the higher the frequency, the better the accuracy. But wear and manufacturing difficulty increase also.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ftwizard said:

Is that the reason for differing rates? Do you have a formula for the wheel teeth?

Well, no formula needed. The second wheel should make one revolution per minute :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon: If You count the transmission ratio to the escape wheel the bph can be calculated.

This is just a fictive example: If the escape wheel has per say 10 teeth and the ratio between the escape wheel and second wheel is per say 20, then the escape wheel does 20 revolutions per minute and 200 ticks and tocks. So multiply it by 60 means 12000 bph. Yeah i know weird example :D

Edited by szbalogh

So you have two questions the first is the frequent the movement runs at is known as Period of oscillation. Detailed description link found below simple definition physical characteristics of the hairspring and balance wheel.

Second question you can do the gear ratios like everyone said and come up with the rate it's supposed to run out.

As far as I can tell for the most part looking at a balance wheel and hairspring you can't tell what frequency runs at. Then for some high-frequency watches 36,000 some of the stopwatches that run even faster the hairsprings start to get stiff. So when you lift the balance out of the watch the balance wheel barely sags with the hairspring being so stiff. Then basically for anything that looks like a balance wheel of American pocket watch you can assume it runs in 18,000 although a few ran at a lower frequency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_wheel

So you have two questions the first is the frequent the movement runs at is known as Period of oscillation. 

I think that as with everything cyclical, period is actually the inverse of the frequency. Please excuse the nitpick [emoji5]