Curved Forceps

So here is my science geeky-ness coming through.....

I dropped a pair of my good dissection curved forceps (Dumont #7) and bent the tips at work- I brought them home to reform the tips (much easier to get the time and quiet to reform them at home).  My preference on dissections and small animal surgeries is curved forceps but I tend to be rather flexible unlike most of my lab. I reformed the tips and decided to try using them on a movement and absolutely love using them.   

What is odd is in my searches on various watch tool selling sites is curved tweezers (forceps) are not common.  Anyone try them? 

Dan B.

For handling movement components I always use straight tweezers. For handling screws I have a pair with a very fine point with a 30* bend at the tip. I find this allows me to position screws more precisely and make thread engagement a lot easier.

Dumont #7 is about the same as Dumont #4 if I'm not mistaken. The difference is the bend, one has it the other one doesn't. I started to be partial to #7 (switching back and forth) but since a lot of work involved is done with straight tweezers I eventually edged my way to a #5 which is still fine but stronger. I've heard that most people use #2 for general watch work but some youtube videos, especially the Italian ones, they use #7. Not a bad choice if you feel comfortable with them. Most places I've found sell the low quality ones, only otto frei (as far as I know) sells the whole Dumont spectrum, including #7 in various flavors. I'm sure there are many other reputable houses offering the same but I really haven't looked hard enough.