Desks/Tables and Edging

chadders1966

Hi

For quite a while I used a table top and adjustable legs from IKEA to work on so I could set the working surface at a good height for working on watches. It was mostly fine but as I used my microscope more often, and the fact that I do other stuff than watch work on the table, the set height wasn't always appropriate. Earlier this year I splashed out on an electrically operated adjustable desk and it has been great. At the press of a button I can raise or lower the working surface and it it suprisingly solid, even at it's top height - which is really meant for using as a standing desk so is higher than I'll need. It helps that the top is actually a piece of wood rather than whatever the IKEA one was made of.

I'm fortunate that I have a lot of storage and space (a side effect of living on my own ;)) so everything gets put away every time apart from my microscope which is attached to the table top with a clamp and articulated arm. Combined they are heavy so it can also bear a lot of weight, as well as having a large surface area. The thing I miss from a real watchmakers desk is any kind of edging/fence/rail, or groove, for catching parts. I don't have as many 'flyers' as I used to, but still have a habit of dropping the odd part and then having to search for it.

Not trusting my rather poor woodworking skills I looked for another solution and decided to give this a go:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PREMIUM-Edge-Corner-Guards-Set/dp/B00U77TJ4Y/ref=lp_60569031_1_15/255-3214105-4836363?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1481537394&sr=1-15

It's obviously meant to protect children from table edges, but what interested me is that it stands proud of the surface. Also you can remove it if it isn't right :). I bought some and fitted it and am quite pleased with the result. It's not as good as the 'proper' solution, but as you can see from my attached photos it projects about 1.5cm above the surface, easily enough for stopping small parts. As I fitted it all round the edge (including in front of where I work instead of the traditional groove) it also has the added effect of stopping me from working too close to the edge as I have been in the habit of doing - as it is foam it doesn't hurt if you catch it with an elbow either. Another thing is it certainly doesn't look out of place, in fact it looks quite good - from a distance at least.

Hopefully this information may be of some use to others.

Stephen

20161212_093103.jpg

20161212_093152.jpg

• Like 1

Great idea for the rim......as for the adjustable table, I was looking for that but was a bit shocked about the price, $350 on sale and an amazing amount for the Bergeon https://shop.bergeon.ch/Catalogue/PDF/6005 S T.pdf

...So when I had the opportunity to buy a watchmaker's workingstation, I took it as it was on the correct heigt(93 cm) and I adjust my chair a little when needed.

• Like 1

Great idea for the rim......as for the adjustable table, I was looking for that but was a bit shocked about the price, $350 on sale and an amazing amount for the Bergeon https://shop.bergeon.ch/Catalogue/PDF/6005 S T.pdf

...So when I had the opportunity to buy a watchmaker's workingstation, I took it as it was on the correct heigt(93 cm) and I adjust my chair a little when needed.

Hi
Where did you buy the bench from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Watchtime said:

I'm a bit of a traditionalist so I probably would have bought a watchmakers bench if I could have found one, but now I'm happy I bought what I did. You are correct though the adjustable height tables cost quite a lot, particularly as I wanted one with a powerful motor, wooden surface and also large area.

I did try with my previous table having it at the recommended height but that was not high enough for me to feel comfortable, particularly as I have spondylosis and need to keep my neck as straight as I can. I'm not particularly tall either, I think the ideal working height can really vary from person to person - even people the same height can have quite a difference in torso size, leg length etc.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference, as you say you can always adjust your chair height. Again I prefer not to do this because of neck problems. I like to sit upright with my feet planted flat on the floor, that's just how I feel the most comfortable.

I really appreciate the adjustable height for the ease of changing to suit what I am doing. As I said this is my general purpose working desk so I can do watch work, use my microscope, use my computer, work with tools, write letters (yes, really :)) etc. all in the same place and in comfort.

Whatever people do, using a specific bench, kitchen table, home made worktop or something else, they should make sure they are comfortable. This hobby of ours can lead to back, neck and other problems easily if we don't take care.

IKEA has also manually adjustable desk (much cheaper than electrical one) product name is  SKARSTA, moves up and down between 70 and 120cm. I suppose worktop could be exchanged for better one :). Price around 150$

Edited by Rafal