Pocket watch to Wristwatch.

Ruby2

Hi All

If I get a pocket watch with a Unitas 6497 movement, can I put the movement from the pocket watch in to a wristwatch case (that is designed for the 6497)?

The crown is obviously on the top of the pocket watch, but on the 3 position on the Wristwatch case, so can the movement be fitted 90 degrees to the right and the dial still be the correct orientation? 

Im purchasing the pocket watch for my first watch to learn to strip-rebuild, but I thought it'd be fun to turn it into a wristwatch too ;-) 

cheers 

Richard 

if you had a choice which you really want to use is a 6498. Basically identical almost sort of to the 6497 except where the secondhand is in relationship to the stem. So as your familiar the 6497 has the crown of the 12 o'clock position the secondhand at the 6 o'clock position. The 6498 has the crown at the 3 o'clock position and the secondhand at the 6 o'clock position in other words it will go in your wrist watch case and it will look like a wristwatch. so typically the 6498 movement would be found in a hunter pocket watch which typically has a spring lid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Watchtime said:

Should not be a problem, but you will have to change  dails. It is a great movement for learning about mechanical watches. Here in the Lowlands the school for watchmakers starts with a 6497.

Cheers 

That's great. 

Ive just dropped on a lovely Limit pocket watch with a very clean Eta 6497 movement in it. 

Im not sure if it's too nice to take apart and use as a wrist watch it seems to be mint. 

I managed to get it for £85 inc postage too. 

Get in! 

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

if you had a choice which you really want to use is a 6498. Basically identical almost sort of to the 6497 except where the secondhand is in relationship to the stem. So as your familiar the 6497 has the crown of the 12 o'clock position the secondhand at the 6 o'clock position. The 6498 has the crown at the 3 o'clock position and the secondhand at the 6 o'clock position in other words it will go in your wrist watch case and it will look like a wristwatch. so typically the 6498 movement would be found in a hunter pocket watch which typically has a spring lid.

Ahhhh I see. 

Ive just made a pocket watch purchase with a Eta 6497. It looks far too nice to take to bits for the movement. 

So with your info (many thanks for that!) I shall now go out and look for a 6498. 

Cheers. 

4 hours ago, dadistic said:

No worries! If you take apart the pocket watch, you can always put it back together again if you want to. I've hung on to the bits from a Colibri watch that I did the same thing with.

You can find suitable dials here for both the 6497 and 6498. Cases, too. 

6487 6498 Dials

Have Fun!

Hi 

Many Thanks for that. 

I see there are some versions of the dials that have the sub seconds at the 6 position. 

Would this work with the pocket watch movement in its current orientation? 

.....although the crown would need to be on the top like a Anonimo Militare :-) 

i gather they don't make cases with the crown in that position? 

Cheers 

Richard 

9 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Hi 

Coupd you answer a question for me. 

Is it possible to use a 6498/6497 case with the crown in the 3oclock position and due to rotating the movement clockwise 90 degrees, then have the sub seconds at the 9 position on the dial? 

Cheers 

Richard 

On 12/5/2016 at 3:13 PM, Ruby2 said:

Is it possible to use a 6498/6497 case with the crown in the 3oclock position and due to rotating the movement clockwise 90 degrees, then have the sub seconds at the 9 position on the dial? 

Yes, that's what you do if the movement's not made for a hunter case. 

Have Fun!

• Like 1