Pallet and Balance Problems

Pip

Been a while since I've been here as I've been stupidly busy with work for a few months. Last couple of days I've managed to get my practice watches out again and I dismantled a Seiko 6309 movement, cleaned it all and am now putting it back together.Chose this one as I thought it might be a good place to start practising servicing movements and I do have a lot of Seikos. All was going quite well, or so I thought. Took me ages to get the pallet fork back in and pallet cock aligned (maybe I've not done that properly? When I screwed down the pallet cock more tightly the pallet fork stopped moving so I loosened it a bit, is that a sign that the fork pointy bit is not in the cock hole?). Then I put the balance back in but it's not doing its thing. If I move it by hand I can feel that it is slightly rubbing somewhere. I also don't think the click is engaged although I swear it's in its mounting hole so not sure if that means power not being stored.

I'm packing up for tonight as I'm losing the will. I'm hoping that someone may be able to look at the pics below or recognise the description and say, "Pip, you're being a complete pallet cock! The problem is...XYZ!"

Thanks in advance for any advice you're able to give. 

Pip

16120200192114739551.jpg

16120200183414692439.jpg

16120200173114630054.jpg

16120200162914567981.jpg

The first thing you need to do is take the power off, take the balance and pallets out and check pivots and jewel holes on both, make sure the jewels are correct and tight, make sure the pallet bridge hasn't been bent and that it sits flush to the bottom plate when screwed down, if that's ok check the pallet stones, its time to put the pallets in make sure you have there pivots in the jewel holes and carefully screw down the bridge, check for end shake if all is well add a little power and with the aid of your tweezers touch the pallets to see if they will let the power escape?

Let me know how things are then we can go into the second part.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

The first thing you need to do is take the power off, take the balance and pallets out and check pivots and jewel holes on both, make sure the jewels are correct and tight, make sure the pallet bridge hasn't been bent and that it sits flush to the bottom plate when screwed down, if that's ok check the pallet stones, its time to put the pallets in make sure you have there pivots in the jewel holes and carefully screw down the bridge, check for end shake if all is well add a little power and with the aid of your tweezers touch the pallets to see if they will let the power escape?

Let me know how things are then we can go into the second part.

Thanks, I will get onto this later I hope... there's an event at my boy's school this afternoon that my dear wife has apparently volunteered me for so who knows. Finally get a couple of evenings to myself and this happens. Grumble grumble...