Pulsar YM62-X229 alarm not working

clockboy

Purchased this non working Pulsar (YM62-X229) and as I know very little about quartz just purchased a new movement for £14. However all works well except the alarm does not work or the maybe its just the sound does not work. There is an isolation disc on the case back that was badly damaged (see pics) so I changed this as this was also supplied with the new movement BUT the alarm still does not work. 

It maybe how I have assembled the hands or am I setting the up the alarm incorrectly.

The way I am setting up the alarm is as follows:

1. Pull crown out to third position and move alarm hands to the same time as the main hands & put crown back to normal position.

2. Pull crown out to second  position and adjust alarm to when I wish the alarm to sound & put crown back to normal position.

Anyone who has an input will be much appreciated.

Pulsar ym62-X229 jpg.jpg

Damaged disc.jpg

Damaged disk

Disc replaced.jpg

Replaced disk

Alarm contact.png

Alarm contacts

These alarm movements can be tricky!!   The disc on the case-back is a peizo crystal which vibrates when electronically activated to create the sound.  The case-back must be fitted when testing the alarm.  Make sure the alarm contacts are making good contact with the peizo, bend up a little if necessary.

Turn the time hands very very slowly to the alarm time as it is very easy to miss the trigger point.    Often easier to set alarm then set time 30 mins before and let the watch run to see if it riggers alarm.  Make sure the alarm is set to 'on' !!

If the hands have been removed then you will need to follow the correct refitting process which should be in the Pulsar tech sheets.  This may be a mechanical procedure or electronic procedure.

I have used these instructions many times with no luck. However I might have found the problem but do not have time to play. Basically the disc on the inside of the watch back is not an isolation disc(as I thought) but a piezo disc which is what gives the alarm it's sound.

Unfortunately I glued it on with an epoxy glue but I should have used a conductive glue.

I have ordered some of the piezo discs + some conductive glue but time is going to be an issue this week. I will report back on the forum if I have indeed found the fault.

• 2 weeks later...

I can report the issue has now been resolved although not conclusive. I ordered a new movement which is supplied with a new Piezo disc. I found if you look closely the disc has some heat glue already attached to it's underside I therefore removed the old disc cleaned and attached the new disc applying a tiny amount of heat.New disc with heat glue.jpg

The dots are heat glue

Heat applied to new disc.jpg

Heat being applied.

However maybe I applied too much heat or the disc was damaged when applying a little force,I don,t know BUT it did not work. I had a delivery of 50 Piezo discs fro China that come surrounded by a brass disc. I applied a little heat to remove the disc and attached it again using conductive glue. 

conductive glue.jpg

Conductive glue used.

However this did not work either. So I removed & attached the whole disc + it's surrounding brass disc with the conductive glue & yippee it now works. I have read that this style of Piezo does not need conductive glue but it now works. I am not going go play any more but is a bit of mystery why the single disc did not work.

China disk attached with conductive glue.jpg

Disc attached to was back

• Like 2