Polishing a hammer on a Seiko 6138

rogart63

Have a stiff reset button on a 6138. Have read that i could help to polishing the faces on the hammer that reset the chronograph wheel. What should i use for polishing the faces? Got it to work a little better by adjusting the eccentric screw on the hammer. But if i remembered right there was a small nick? Should maybe replace it instead? But would be interested i learning anyway what to use? 

Roger, ideally it should be replaced if it has a nick in it, but smoothing and polishing would be worth a go first.

I would first remove the nick by rubbing the part with 600 grit wet or dry abrasive paper.  If possible have the paper on a perfectly flat surface and rub the hammer on it making sure you keep the exact profile.  If it can't be done this way wrap a piece of the abrasive paper around a small lollipop stick or similar, then polish the part with it.

When the nick is removed, change to 1200 grit paper until it starts to shine.  Next use the bare stick with a little solvol autosol polish and burnish the part.

It should now have a very high shine and should be finished off with solvol applied to a cloth and rubbed until it's a mirror finish.

I prefer doing these types of polishing jobs by hand, as there's is less chance of going too far and ruining the piece as could happen using a Dremel or bench mounted buff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Geo said:

Roger, ideally it should be replaced if it has a nick in it, but smoothing and polishing would be worth a go first.

I would first remove the nick by rubbing the part with 600 grit wet or dry abrasive paper.  If possible have the paper on a perfectly flat surface and rub the hammer on it making sure you keep the exact profile.  If it can't be done this way wrap a piece of the abrasive paper around a small lollipop stick or similar, then polish the part with it.

When the nick is removed, change to 1200 grit paper until it starts to shine.  Next use the bare stick with a little solvol autosol polish and burnish the part.

It should now have a very high shine and should be finished off with solvol applied to a cloth and rubbed until it's a mirror finish.

I prefer doing these types of polishing jobs by hand, as there's is less chance of going too far and ruining the piece as could happen using a Dremel or bench mounted buff.

Great. Thanks for the tips. Working very nice now? Adjusted the cam screw for the hammer a little and now the pusher isn't that stiff. And the chronograph hand reset as it should every time. 

Thanks Geo. 

• Like 1