Seiko oiling instructions

I picked up a 1972 Seiko handwinder from a flea market in Brighton last week. It'll need a service quite soon so I started to trawl the internet for info about it - particularly the "diafix" cap jewels.

I came across the attached which is also from the 1970s and shows an unusual oiling technique for the regular train pivots. Seiko recommends using their S4 grease applied on the flat side of the jewel.

I serviced a very similar movement a couple of years back and just oiled in the usual way - no problems so far, and I don't think S4 is available any more anyway. Anyone come across this before, or tried to oil a watch in this way??

IMG_0001.PNG

IMG_0002.JPG

• Like 1

S-4 is still the lubricant used by Seiko for metal-to-metal parts. It is available, e.g. on Ebay but excessively expensive. Personally I replace it with Moebius 8301 which is loaded with graphite and has the same recommended usage: slip and winding parts. Another alternative could be 8201 with molybdenum.

I have no idea how it occurred to Seiko to recommend it for jewelled pivots, as it doesn't belong there, contradicting its intended usage described in section 2. Certainly that is not any on other Seiko service sheets that I've seen. I use 9104 for slow turning pivots and many other uses. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1