Need help opening a Vulcain Cricket

Stian

Hi everyone,

I have only recently discovered the fantastic Watch Repair Channel and Mark's videos, and am already a huge fan! It's difficult to describe the satisfaction of discovering the videos and this website :)

I will introduce myself in the other forum later on, but thought maybe I could ask your help already: I have a Vulcain Cricket that runs a couple of minutes fast per hour. I would like to simply regulate it, the problem is that I can not open it! Not being afraid to show my stupidity in public: could someone advise me on this?

--
Thanks,
Stian

2.JPG

5.JPG

back.jpg

Hi, Stian!  I can't help you with opening the case, but I do have a suggestion.  If your watch is running a couple minutes fast PER HOUR, then it's running about an hour fast PER DAY.  That is unlikely a problem which can be fixed by adjusting the regulator of the watch.  More likely, your hairspring is functionally foreshortened, either by magnetism or by dirt causing adherence between coils of the spring.  

An easy way to check for magnetism is to put a cheap compass over the watch.  If the needle of the compass swings back and forth, that's a definite sign of a magnetized watch.  If the compass does not swing, no solid interpretation can be made.

Good luck!

--Eric

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Stian.

It is a snap on back and before you attempt to open it take note of the the position, your picture above will suffice.  The reason I say this is the alarm striker hits a post fixed to the inside of the back.

To remove it you will need a case knife, Stanley blade and a single sided razor blade.  Have a careful look and you should see a small notch.  Start very carefully with the razor blade to ease the back up ever so slightly.  Follow with the slightly thicker Stanley blade which should allow easy access for the case knife which you will use to prise the back off.

If the notch is large enough, you may be able to just use the case knife.

Whatever you do, please be carefull nit to cut yourself or slip with the knife and damage the movement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, anilv said:

Watch probably would benefit from a service.

Regulating without a clean/oil is a temporary fix, if you're not careful, a slip and the hairspring can be ruined.

Anilv

Indeed, I'm planning to strip it down and service it. Will have to sort out some beginner's mistakes on some cheaper pieces first!

Stian