Stem set

I have a nice Waltham 18size special grade stem set 15 jewel pocket watch movement made in 1898 with a really bad case. I want to put it in another case.This is just for my collection not to sell. (I never can part with my watches). All the cases I see are lever set. Can these be used with a stem set movement? If so, what if anything needs to be done. 

I realize some people don't agree with this , but I want this beautiful movement to be around & running as a whole watch for another generation to enjoy.

tims newest.JPG

but  wait, theres more:  the lever set will  have a different stem on the same watch with a set stem,  there are different collets and stems,  but the most important  job is the stem length,  are we on track now?   vinn

Ok, here is my understanding, although I'm a pocket watch neophyte. There were cases that were made that were compatible with both stem set and lever set movements, but they were special. Usually a stem or lever set movement required its own style of case.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I was somewhat confused with my reading the question until I finally grasped what you're getting at. It's always assumed today that the pocket watch came together case with movement. Quite a few times that is true but in other times movement was sold separate from the case.

To understand watch cases at least for American pocket watches I have an interesting link below.

http://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?title=Watch_case

Then even if you do have a case for a lever set watch you still have to Be able to pull the crown into a setting position to get the movement out. You going to notice quite a few watches stems set in lever set cases because they will work. Worst case you're going to have to adjust the sleeve to get the Depth thing right.

• Like 2