Gear Slack

JonnyM

Hello All!  

I just bought a Zeppelin Chrono with an ETA 7753 movement. I love the watch despite some minor frustrations. 

I have quite a few automatics, but this is the first one I've owned that has a fair amount of gear slack. The minute hand will lag by about 20 seconds until the slack is taken up. I can take the slack out by winding 5-10 minutes past the target time, and then winding counterclockwise to the correct time, so no big deal. 

My question is, does gear slack in a modern movement reflect poor quality?  Or is it simply a function of complexity in the movement?  

Thanks,

-Jonathan 

8 minutes ago, clockboy said:

Are you sure its a gear issue & not a jewel wear issue. Just a thought.

Thanks.  I bought the watch new from an AD so I don't think it's jewel wear, but thanks for the thought!  The watch has an exhibition case back and has clearly been regulated -- not sure whether that was by the manufacturer or the dealer, but that is partly what has me wondering.

Welcome to the forum Johny.  There is nothing wrong with your watch, I've just checked one of my watches that is fitted with a 7753 and the gear backlash is about the same.  When setting I do the same as you.

Wear it, enjoy it and rest easy! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome Geo, and the response!  I've been poking around this site for a couple months and love the content, both written and video!  And I've yet to find a group of more knowledgeable folks!  There is tons for a fellow to learn.  I haven't been able to find much on backlash as yet, other than how to deal with it.  I'm somewhat curious about how to eliminate it from a design perspective, but that's probably a bit too advanced for my current level of knowledge! :)

Thanks again,

-Jonny

All gear systems in horology and engineering have degrees of backlash built in by design.  If you ever get around to working on mechanical chronographs you will have to learn how to adjust backlash.