Omega 1342 troubleshooting guidance?

PWR

I have a nice looking Omega 1342 Quartz that is not functioning with new battery.

I am wondering if there is any troubleshooting guidance someone can provide to figure out what might be wrong.

I am sure all the parts are in the watch.....

Appreciate any help.

Steve

I had one recently. This is what I did-

New batt, not running. Used Voltmeter on the points that attach to stepper-motor. Look for first a neg then a pos reading--every second. An Analogue meter is preferred to see the pointer swing, but a fast operating (Not Autoranging, as they are just too damned slow!) digital will do.

In my case, the pulses were present and the motor was O/C. New ones can be had from Sweden, but at a stupid cost...

Its part-number is-- 1342 9400, motor.

• Like 2

Just thought--The pulses Must be neg/pos alternating for the motor to turn forward each second. If one half of the 'H' Bridge of four transistors Inside the driver/timer chip are faulty, you'll only get pulses of one sign and not alternating, if this is the case, the chip/board/electronics will need replacement. This is a pretty early genuine Omega calibre and not an ETA Re-badge like they did later on.

It dates from the mid-late 70's, parts are hard to come by and expensive it seems. Omega do apparently offer re-built stepper-motors--To their dealers only--who will charge £400 to repair the watch, which these days prob isnt worth £100 unless sentimental...

If I was to have pursued this repair myself, I would have considered changing the entire movement for a nice quality recent manufactured one--but which cal, I didn't investigate, as the owner didn't want to spend lots on it..

I noticed in one of Johns pdf,s there is a re-set mode that increases the voltage but could not see how this is done. If  you can re-set It might be worth a try as it will free the movement up if is just in need of a service. I am not that familiar with quartz apart from a service requirement, it seems to be either the coil or stepper motors that fail. It is rarely the circuit that is at fault.

A book worth purchasing if available is "Repairing Quartz Watches" by Henry B. Fried