ETA 2836 issue

27 minutes ago, Danh said:

i will get a tool and try all that

The ETA is not really indispensable, the regulator pin turns easily with tweezers. Also, is used for positional adjustment, but you have to eliminate beat error first. If you have less that 15 s/d positional variance don't even bother messing with it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, matabog said:

nice!

I didn't notice the beat error before...

I am hoping tomorrow night when I have more time to follow that tutorial you posted, very interested in that. For me "doing" promotes my understanding, if you know what I mean

That's a fair comment Matabog, maybe just finish the assembly of the watch then.

i have another 2836 in bits at the moment, waiting for a pallet fork to arrive from Spain - hopefully that will turn up soon

Don't get me wrong, it is awsome when you make it work but it is terribly frustrating when you brake it.

Let's face it - we are playing. People go to school and learn this stuff in months, if not years and practice after that....

• Like 1

but then... No pain, no gain :) you got to learn somehow... the most important stuff you will learn from your own mistakes ;) I know I did (and still am...)

Edited by matabog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Danh said:

Took your advice JDM, stills bit more to do on it, but it's getting there, and I am learning loads

Wonderful. I have one more advice from experience about movements that are slight slow like this. Observe it over 24 hours, fully cased, and in various positions. if stil below 0 s/d on average make run it a little bit faster, nobody stands watches losing time, but if it gains that's tolerated. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jdm said:

Wonderful. I have one more advice from experience about movements that are slight slow like this. Observe it over 24 hours, fully cased, and in various positions. if stil below 0 s/d on average make run it a little bit faster, nobody stands watches losing time, but if it gains that's tolerated. 

That's good advice JDM, when it was on the timer (which handily rotates with the watch locked in place I noticed), I tried that quickly tonight and noticed the numbers changed when the watch was rotated 180 degrees.

i think it slowed it down by 10-15 seconds per day, but was being shouted so had to stop what I was doing.

i am going to start testing tomorrow night 

thanks again Guys

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avion said:

I gotta say. That part when you fixed the hairspring yourself, considering that was your first time, is kind of incredible.

Thanks Avion, but I have to say the student is only as good as the teacher, Marks Videos are brilliant, and very well filmed for the close detail

Thanks for all your answers and help folks, the watch is now assembled and in testing - my first complete job as a total service, repair, made a Horween leather strap for it, and cast a sterling silver buckle and aged it.

i wanted an authentic look close to the 1940's version, but with an automatic movement

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1