whats important in an article ?

Just wanting to know from you all. what is important in an article ?

• Claims backed up by source references 
  • Pretty pictures
  • the authors view ? or just a "here are the facts, drawer your own conclusions ?"

Any thing else that you would criticise an article for not containing ?

I'm working on multiple article submission which at the end of it, will make a big claim that no one is expecting, so want to ensure I get it right the first time.

Thanks for your time and thoughts

I'm most intrigued Diveboy.  Whatever you post, I would ask that it is honest and accurate and backed up with not just pretty pictures, but ones that show very clearly what you are trying to get over to the reader.  Do not use other people's copyrighted photos unless you have the permission of the owner.

What section do you intend posting your submission in?

Source references are important.  I love pictures, but just enough to illustrate the point. Otherwise they get in the way. Make your case with the facts, then when you are done, feel free to state your own view. Don't present your conclusion as fact, but just where you think the facts lead.

Then, get ready to be flamed :biggrin:

Have fun!

• Like 1

thanks,

The images will be mine, so copyright free (I've purchased press photos of the time and they are now copyright free as well and my own scans and restorations).

I'll ensure I can provide as many source references for statements and where I can will indicate that its an accepted oral history (trust it on your own basically).

The leading articles will be published on my website but the final one, I'm not sure. I think it needs to go to a horological journal due to its nature but not sure which one. I'm not a member of any horological organisation so have no ties to any of them. 

oh and I'm already flamed constantly on my statement that Elgin & LIP were first in 1952 with a battery powered wristwatch as opposed to Hamilton being first in 1957, so my asbestos suit is well tested.

• 4 weeks later...