Seiko 7s36

anilv

Hi guys..

Just put together this watch from some parts I had around.

Its been a while since messed with one of these and I've just refreshed my memory of why I don't like them so much..

1. Movement finishing is ugly.

2.  Balance jewels use a weird rectangular spring. The older triangular ones are so much easier to fit and look better too.

3. The cap jewels use similar, but smaller versions. A pain in the xxx.

4. You can only remove the movement ring after removing the datewheel.  I know this but every time I forget and almost damage the date wheel.

5. The setting/keyless stuff go in BEFORE the train wheels! Doh! Got the thing running, flipped it over to fit the setting stuff and.......!x*@*

6. Small balance... I prefer bigger ones! 

7. Dumb Phillips screw holding the date retaining plate. What was Seiko thinking of?

8. Plastic gears.

9. Day wheel and date wheels which are usually not centered. 

10. Bridge screws which are too long troublesome to get started.

Its running fine now and will probably be finding a new home soon as its not my cup if tea.

Have a good weekend..P_20160618_164249.jpg

While I understand where you do come from, I personally believe that this low cost movement actually has a superb engineering, of course toward cost and parts reduction while preserving substantial quality, and is the evolution of the previous generations. It is also a truly modular and scalable design being the base platform for the 4R and 6R movements and their many variants. While working on it I've discovered many interesting manufacturing details (holes in the main plate to observe pallet action, marking on wheels to indicate the up side, the ability of accessing both balance jewels for quick lubrication, and others) which indicate the great attention to detail it has designed with. 

I think that each one of the points you have listed has a solid reason to be, but I will address just one - the plastic wheels (for calendar and quick-setting). These actually give great advantages over metal due to their flexibility and self-lubricating properties. Perfect for wheels turning slowly that will self-adjust to the next part. Also note that the micro Phillips screw has been converted to slot  in later versions.  

I've no experience so far with other low-end auto movements, but having seen the Seiko is not that I expect they can be better than that, Not easily at least.

• Like 1

Thanks JDM, I respect these movements for what they can do but my preference is for the earlier ones, partcularly the 6119 (my favourite Seiko!).

I also appreciate that without the Seiko 7S26 and its variants, the watch enthusiast would have much fewer options!

I also realise the self lubricating properties of plastic, but I kinda like metal bits. That's probably why I still hang on to my 69' beetle...I had a Volvo 940 which had a distressing habit of breaking its plastic bits at a slightest touch.. the metal bits were fine (its a Volvo after all!).

Anil

Edited by anilv

• 1 month later...