Watch Hand Levers - a DIY idea

systeman

I had nothing better to do today, so I thought I'd make a pair of watch hand levers.

I had some 3 mm tool steel rod and cut off two pieces 80 mm long.

I then reduced the diameter to 2.2 mm at one end of both. One end of each was ground flat and level to just about 1/3rd of the diameter.

Then, on the side that goes up against the dial, I ground the ends flat again to about 1/13rd but tapered them down to 0.2 mm at the tip.

Using the round file handle as a mandrel, I heated up the ends and gently hammered the tapered side over to make them slightly rounded and also cut in a small 'V' notch, then left them to cool.

When they had cooled down, I heated them up again slightly to temper them. I'll put some heat shrink tubing over the handles to finish them off.

2.2 mm watch hand lever.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, systeman said:

I had nothing better to do today, so I thought I'd make a pair of watch hand levers.

I had some 3 mm tool steel rod and cut off two pieces 80 mm long.

I then reduced the diameter to 2.2 mm at one end of both. One end of each was ground flat and level to just about 1/3rd of the diameter.

Then, on the side that goes up against the dial, I ground the ends flat again to about 1/13rd but tapered them down to 0.2 mm at the tip.

Using the round file handle as a mandrel, I heated up the ends and gently hammered the tapered side over to make them slightly rounded and also cut in a small 'V' notch, then left them to cool.

When they had cooled down, I heated them up again slightly to temper them. I'll put some heat shrink tubing over the handles to finish them off.

2.2 mm watch hand lever.jpg

Nice work, looking very good...:)

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/06/2016 at 2:10 PM, arkobugg said:

Nice work, looking very good...:)

Now looking better after I finished them.

hand levers.jpg

I used some 3mm ID aluminium tube and secured the tips in place with epoxy resin. Then finished off by covering the handles and part of the tips with heatshrink tubing.

I'm well chuffed with the result.

Hint: another alternative steel for the levers is to use a small allen keys ground into shape, and make some suitable handles.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, ricardopalamino said:

Very nice job . They look great and I'm sure they work well .

I have a set of inexpensive levers I picked up on the Bay . They seem a bit chubby at the fork end and I think I will use my hard felt buffing wheel to shape them a little better .

I don't think a buffing wheel would give the correct profile on the dial side of the levers.

Instead, why not try various grades of wet and dry paper. Lay the paper on a flat surface, hold the levers securely at an angle and, with a finger near the tip for downward pressure drag the levers on the paper with a slight rolling action. This will thin down the tips and keep the dial side flat. Because they are so small, buffing them may tend to make the underside too rounded.

Edited by systeman