screw sizes on Swiss movements

I have an ETA 1152 that's missing one of the screws for the minute work cock.

I don't have any scrap ETA movements, but I do have a couple of Swiss movements. One's a Peseux, can't see what the other is.

What are the chances of finding a suitable screw on another brand of movement. How common are screw sizes/threads on Swiss watches ?

It's a good idea to have plenty of spare screws because you never know when you are going to need one and they are easily lost.  You should be able to buy good selections from suppliers. I wouldn't think for one minute a screw from a Peseux movement will fit E T A movements. The same goes for old Russian watch movements there screws are a completely different thread to Swiss screws. It is always good practice to fit the correct screw and size, this makes sure the two parts are screwed together correctly, the screw should be right in every way, correct in length and not long in a way it could be sticking out and interfering with something in the movement.    

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

It's a good idea to have plenty of spare screws because you never know when you are going to need one and they are easily lost.  You should be able to buy good selections from suppliers. I wouldn't think for one minute a screw from a Peseux movement will fit E T A movements. The same goes for old Russian watch movements there screws are a completely different thread to Swiss screws. It is always good practice to fit the correct screw and size, this makes sure the two parts are screwed together correctly, the screw should be right in every way, correct in length and not long in a way it could be sticking out and interfering with something in the movement.    

Any idea where I could get an assortment of ETA screws - I looked on Cousins but couldn't find any?

Ebay looks your best bet for selections, but be careful many are selling screws for glasses which you don't want there to big, but some are for watches you won't just get E T A movement screws.

Here are two more links.

https://watchpart.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=watch+screws

http://www.ofrei.com/shop-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi

ofrei is the best here looks like they have a good varied selection. 

Have a look on google that's what I just did.

24 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I don't agree there? It could work? But as oldhippy says it's better to find some spare screws? i bought a spare screw box from  redrosteruk on ebay. I think a few others has bought that to? 

• Like 1

Something like this i have. But have filled it with a lot of other screws from old movements . https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/all-kinds-mixed-screws-wristwatch

Here you have the screws for bridges . You can see the different sizes availible? Have a caliber and measure the screw which size you need . https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/bridge-screws-wristwatch

Edited by rogart63

Jules Borel's site is generally pretty good for looking up parts equivalents and to identify the base or most common movement in a series. 

In this case however, the part you want is not listed against that movement... however they do list the minute cock, and by clicking this you can see all the other movements this part is used on. It is a fair bet that the same screws are used to hold it in place on the other movements:

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=Xb\D]

I can't see the individual screw listed in any of my usual haunts, so you may be best buying a scrap movement from the same series. This may seem like a slightly more expensive solution, but you could spend a long time looking otherwise. For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monte-Swiss-ETA-1080-watch-movement-dial-running-/231964492855?hash=item3602294437:g:MI8AAOSwrhlXTzcm

• Like 1