My first Speedmaster (MkII) - Help with glass

Hello,

My first Speedy [emoji4] , a 145.014, is on my way now, and it will need a new crystal, as the actual is badly scratched and chipped. Doing my homework found fairly trivial to get the part online (cousins, etc) for the glass itself but no so with the gasquet to seal the union with this case. I could not find any info about this case in this particular topic so the question is: anyone have replaced the crystal for this Mark II's? What to expect beneath th flat glass? Is the gasquet expected to be replaced with the new glass, if so any idea where to get the gasket?

Thanks a lot from Argentina.

Miguel

Enviado desde mi SM-N910C mediante Tapatalk

The mark II crystal is a little special . It has a small groove in the middle of the crystal. There sits a small thin o-ring. You will need a special tool to press the crystal in. Have changed some but every time i am letting a watchmaker do it. That has got this plastic tool. Search the net for Omega mark II crystal tool. 

FittingMineralCrystals_zps4e7d2593.jpg

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1

Thank you Rogart, thats first class info!

I was hoping a more standard fit, with a perimetral frame in nylon, i see now is a completely different mounting procedure. The auxiliar ring is for compress the oring previous to enter the case's mounting hole? As a ring compressor with an automotive piston ringset?

30 minutes ago, Ecodelosandes said:

Thank you Rogart, thats first class info!

I was hoping a more standard fit, with a perimetral frame in nylon, i see now is a completely different mounting procedure. The auxiliar ring is for compress the oring previous to enter the case's mounting hole? As a ring compressor with an automotive piston ringset?

You can make your own tool if you have a lathe? I have even seen on OF someone ho did a tool out of a thick plastic nylon bottle . Trying to find the tool is impossible as they no longer produce them. Doesn't have to be nylon i have seen brass or steel tools. 

https://omegaforums.net/threads/mk-ii-speedy-project.16554/page-2

Edited by rogart63

Yes, i intend to have it maked on a lathe, as i still don't have one, probably on steel or brass. In the upper side it will need a good angle to "pack" the oring, and conclude at the bottom with the same internal diameter of the case.

• 5 weeks later...

Momentary "solution" for the awful glass my Mkii came. No way to get locally for a replacement, not even a generic flat glass. So decided to make one for it until the right one arrive.

Two pieces if 1,5mm thick acrylic, bonded together with uv curing optical cement. Provided with a plate (120 film spool), for fitting in the mandrel in my father's column drill, to turn it as in a lathe.

213c8039da06dc60b900cfbadf1bac24.jpg

After turning it with diverse sand paper to get the proper diameter fo 36,5mm

The two phases of the sandwich is visible at the side.

3607ca7c29f9283149ee3840bb087b9c.jpg

And finally fitted to the case. Uv cement used here too. I know, the proper fitment will be used with the original set to come. Meanwhile i have to say that i like the result very much, even without the tachy ring, looks kinda cleaner and more "open faced" without it. Oppinions?

d13ae92be09531c566006126b675686a.jpg

It would be not a problem to fit, in the same way, but there is two problems: haven't found a sapphire with tje dimensions (35,5mm diameter, 3mm thick), and it will be a more definitive solutios than this one, in that case i prefer to stick with the tachy ring approach, i'm affraid, for originality sake.