Bulova 11BLC....Where did this come from?

mcass

I just took my old Weller soldering gun and turned it into a demagnetizer. Passed the watch through a couple of times and then put it to a stopwatch. It looks like I'm gaining 3.25 seconds approximately per minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I ran it through the Weller de-magnetizer again, opened it up and saw the hairspring looked kind of off center, nudged1285051583671634958327583f2ea785.jpg it this way and that, and now it appears to be keeping good time against a stopwatch. Finally!!!

Well I ran it through the Weller de-magnetizer again, opened it up and saw the hairspring looked kind of off center, nudged1285051583671634958327583f2ea785.jpg it this way and that, and now it appears to be keeping good time against a stopwatch. Finally!!!

Good job!

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Could not have finished it without you! Thank you and everyone else that helped walk me through this. I am wearing the watch now and will see how it goes through tomorrow. Now I am still trying to hunt down parts for the Poljot 3105 movement and will be tearing into an 1890 Elgin pocketwatch this weekend!

Well now im getting slightly frustrated. I wore it through the night and when I woke up at around 7:30, it had stopped at just before 7:00. I assumed that maybe it just didnt have a full wind. However, in the last 1 1/2 it has stopped 2-3 times....not sure what could be causing this. I will say that it is not winding easily. I dont know if that is because something is still messed up or because the crown is so small and I can hardly get a grip on it to turn it. 

12 hours later no issues...not sure what that was about this morning

Hey mcass,

My pleasure to help,

I had a similar problem with one of my bulovas. Once I eliminated any issues with hairspring and gears, I decided to replace the mainspring. Bulova has these "lifetime" springs, but they do need to be changed after 40 or more years.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 4:09 PM, noirrac1j said:

Bulova has these "lifetime" springs, but they do need to be changed after 40 or more years.

Apparently they were thinking about horses, that's their "lifetime" (lifespan)!! :D