Early Tudor

Well, my latest find is a little worse for wear!  Need to work out whether I can restore this, or whether it needs a pro?

The main issue really is the dial - pretty faded and filthy as you can see. It's a Tudor 17 jewel AS 1506/1507 movement which works in a fashion, so mechanically I think I stand a chance. It's in a 9ct gold case and the strap (Montal) is possibly gold plated.

What do we think guys... any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Buzz

DSCF2201.JPG

DSCF2202.JPG

DSCF2203.JPG

Thanks for the input guys. It would be nice if I can get away with just cleaning as I'd prefer not to re-do the dial... we'll see how it goes. Yep, I promise to ditch the bracelet Stuart... I'm thinking decent brown leather might be what it would have started life with.  Struggling to find info on the older Tudor watches. I found some interesting history stuff on the Tudor website but not a lot else. It was given as a gift in 1963, so I'm guessing that's roughly how old it is. Didn't find much on the Pink pages either.

Anyone know where else I might find more info?

Looks awesome!  Great suggestions here...In order, I'd recommend a light dial cleaning, service the movement completely, polish the case then proceed to show off that beautiful watch;)  Nice find!!!!

• Like 1

Nice one Jeff... it certainly did help, thank you. It would appear, on the back of your input,  I was about 10 years out with my estimation of age (well I am new to this watch stuff). This is more likely 1950's which explains why I was only finding the later Oyster versions.

2 hours ago, jeffc83 said:

Looks awesome!  Great suggestions here...In order, I'd recommend a light dial cleaning, service the movement completely, polish the case then proceed to show off that beautiful watch;)  Nice find!!!!

Ok Jeff, I'm in... dial it is... then the tricky bit... then a polish... oh, and then as...

4 hours ago, StuartBaker104 said:

And ditch that bracelet before it does any more damage to the lugs!

S

Sounds simple the way you guys bring it together! Being a bit new to this I may find it a bit more challenging,.. but I am going to enjoy this one!

As a self taught cabinet maker (at ease with precision), come watch diddler with  the tenacity of a squirrel upside down in a nut factory... and backed by the knowledge of you guys, I think we are on a winner here!

Notice how I have included all associated parties:biggrin:.... eases the the pressure... should things go pear shape... only joking!

For the benefit of all... if of interest?,.. I am happy to post my progress in the forum as a thank you for your help.

Buzz... tomorrow is a mega day!!

• Like 1

Steady progress on the dial... so far I have tried distilled water and soap - not much effect. Carefully tried rodico, it was picking up dirt but frightened it would lift the print I've tried slightly stronger liquids. Rubbing alcohol, White Spirit, Baby oil - not much effect. Contact Cleaner seem to loosen things a little so I then tried Silver dip.

All this done very gently with a cotton bud (while holding my breath, most of the time), I think the silver dip has done the most.

What do you think guys... have I done enough?

BeforeDSCF2209.JPG

Now... looks a little better.

DSCF2211.JPG

• Like 1

Yes i would stop there personally , looks much better well done , and as already mentioned throw the bracelet in the bin they really do wear the lugs especially on gold cases with them being softer .

A nice quality brown leather strap will compliment it well imo

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buzz12 said:

Yep, I thought a decent brown strap. The dial does at least look cleaner, so Like you say Andy, I'll quit before it goes the other way! On to the movement next... hopefully that won't be as stressful.

Dial came out great!  Splendid work there, wouldn't go any further as others have mentioned:)  Hopefully the movement will be the east part;)

• Like 1

I don't know if I would do anything about it but I would worry that the dial will deteriorate again unless you put a clear lacquer on it.

Watchguy has a couple of threads where he has cleaned up dials then protected with a clear lacquer.

Particularly the scratch by number 4 will likely tarnish quickly.

What do others think?

Oh, by the way, awesome cleaning job so far

Edited by StuartBaker104
  • Like 1

That's a good point Stuart but Like you and the others suggest I am going to run with it for now. I think I have seen the article you mentioned - a varnish would protect it BUT it would also highlight any imperfection. If you zoom in you can see that my cleaning efforts (around the edge) look to have removed what was maybe a varnish seal... or that's what it looks like to me. Ideally, if I could do the same on the centre it might look better - But the risk is, would I loose the (Tudor print). Is it on the top of the varnish??

If I can find a similar old dial I might try the same treatment and see what happens and then try the varnish idea.  Don't think I can hold my breath long enough to try it on this one. Lol!