Rolex vs Omega : who is the best ?

Hello everyone, 

I have found those really interesting stats comparing the two biggest (at least in my opinion) watch brand in the industry. Those data were collection using https://Toolwatch.io 

Personally, I tend to find Rolex more reliable as my Submariner is way more accurate than my Speedmaster (though this one was bought earlier).

What are your thoughts on those two brands ?

omega-rolex-accuracy-toolwatch.png

• Like 2

I personally thinks that it is not a question of reliability. You probably cannot compare a Submariner with the Speedy. The original Speedmaster (Moonwatch) has a hand wound chronograph movement that doesn't have as second stop and the Submariner comes with an automatic movement and no choronograph complication.

#1 I'd rather compare the actual Rolex Submariner with the actual Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. I have seen the Omega SPO and found it an excellent choice with the co-axial movement. The new Omega keeps the time as well as a new Rolex (less than 1s - 2s a day. Look at the watch and see which one fits you best.

#2 If you look at your watch as an investment you may want to go for the Rolex which I personally consider more price stable. But keep in mind: luxury watches are usually not a very good investment unless you really look at what you buy, i.e. some limited edition which is not followed by another limited edition of the same watch, slightly different though and then yet another. I personally think it is easier to invest in a vintage Rolex (Daytona!) than a new one. But... if economy goes down the prices of luxury watches will go down as well.

Which brings us to #1: go for the watch you really like most.

My two cents.

Cheers Alexander

• Like 1

In my father's day Omega was the premium brand - lost their way in the mid- sixties before the quartz crisis due to the Hamilton Electric Watch Co. and then Bulova - rendered all the COSC obsolete at a stroke - thought Omega were going to make a comeback but with the spares antics I don't think so any more - suspect the future of meccy watches will be the likes of (Grand) Seiko and even Seagull  - nowt wrong with that!

My DateJust is +/- 16 sec day and was serviced about a year ago.  It was never THAT good with time; I have non COSC's that are MUCH more accurate, some down to the second.  In Rolex's defense, it is a caliber 1570 so maybe age has something to do with it.....;)  Both are very solid brands but it depends on what you're looking for design wise along with how much you are willing to spend.

Unfortunately I'm at a place where I cannot afford either unless it goes straight into the safety deposit box as a commodity purchase and I've only ever seen an Omega in real life but from what I have seen on the Internets it seems Rolex has a bit more fit and finish on the inside.  I imagine they both keep impeccable time though.